1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

CPU temperature too high 65-75 C

I have a pentium 4 3.0 GHz processor
    I think its overheating cause the temperature never falls below 60 C
    Its usually in the range of aroun 70 C and at times touch upto 85 C
    The processor fan always runs at 3900 rpm and am not able to increase it beyond that.
    I am posting a screenshot of speedFan

Is this normal , cos i have read that 70 C is a bit high for the processor
    Attached Images
  3. "That Guy"
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Wouldn't you like to know? (To come beat me up maybee)
    I'll reply because it has been a few days.

70 is definitely high, not just 'a tad'. I am no hardware expert, but I would say it is not good for it to run that hot, its lifetime would likely be reduced.

85 is very high, it should never get that hot.

I do not know what fan speeds the fans normally run at, but mine runs at about 5300rpm. So your fan speed is not drastically lower than mine, and I wouldn't think it would cause, on its own alone, this much overheating.

~50C is a good temperature to aim for. My temperatures always stay below 50C.

Are you sure Temp1 is corresponding to your CPU temperature, and not something else?

How many fans do you have cooling your case? and are all exhaust vents clear of dust?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yup temp1 is CPU temp. I even checked it out using Everest Ultimate

There's only a single fan on the case . the one on the CPU heatsink.
  7. "That Guy"
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Wouldn't you like to know? (To come beat me up maybee)
    I may have understated the temperatures. Mine actually peak to just below 60C for some sensors in the case, after 24hours of being on. My Temp0 never rises above 42C, though.

50C is the default value SpeedFan uses to start showing a warning, so 70-85 is definitely too high.

I would say your problem is probably airflow into and out of your case. How many vents are there? And make sure they are all clear of dust. Most cases now-a-days have 2 or 3 fans that are constantly cooling the inside of the case. I believe mounting some fans on your case would be the only thing that would help. You can order them off the internet, and they are easy to hook up - as long as your case has some spots for a fan.

If that is too much, and the temp being that high bothers you, there is something, slightly more ghetto, that you can do.

If your desktop is in a 'cubby' area in your desk, you should be able to take the side off the case safely, and stick the tower back in the cubby with the side wide open - that should help quite a bit with cooling, and should pose no risk to your computer parts (I have seen people running a computer without using a case at all!) .

Hope this helps.

Comments on this post

• jzd agrees
  9. Contributing User

I agree with adding another case fan in your pc, and if that's not enough..

Another thing you could do that hasn't yet been mentioned is take the CPU fan off, remove any of the old thermal paste off the CPU and the back of the fan and put new thermal paste on it. Something like Arctic Silver should deffinately help with getting the temperature down. Just make sure you put the CPU fan back on properly afterwards.

Personally, I disagree with leaving the side off the case. Yes it helps, and some people even put a normal housefan to blow air into the case as well. The problem with it is that it increases the intake of dust and there's always a chance that something drops into it, no matter where the PC is placed.
    Last edited by LDHosting; November 2nd, 2009 at 08:40 AM.
    Quality European Web Hosting - LDHosting.com
    High Quality, Low Cost Web Hosting Services
    www.ldhosting.com
  11. No Profile Picture

Try to change another cpu, to be honestly, i think P4 is most hot cpu.
  13. No Profile Picture

mmm old inafishent cooling

First off I'm sorry fore my spelling,i have fond in all my time tikering with over 300 computers that i have built and ran i fond that computers get worm fore a number of resins 1st not anuff power going to the places it should go to like faulty power supply or wires coming from power supply arnt sending anufe power .
    2end bad cooling. In the older rigs i fond that more air flow means faster system .
    in store bought munches youl get lucky to get 2 fans in it one on processor 2nd on PC case both are low quality. Pc are mad that way so stuff dies people throw out and by new to keep a PC running smooth i say 1 time a month take a blower or like a shop vac in exist mode and blow it out. dust causes heat and bad air flow to CPU and most are given low end power supplies i say spend a little up grade power supply if you don't know how take machine in for service or try to do it your self removal is Essy

next get better cooling i:e bigger power supply means more fans mmmm fans
    next YESS ((Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound 3.5 Grams))I have tried a few different kinds i find this works thee best
    THE HIGH HEAT FROME PRoSSORS IS FROM THE OLD ORE CHEEP CPU PAST THEY USE WHEN PUTTING IT TOGETHER good stuff keeps me running nice and cool i also clean off all old past from cpu and heat sink with q tip and a little rubbing ochohal not supping wet fest anuff to get the paste went to wipe off and do not let enny of it get on mother board are side of possessor that will short out your board ,add about i pinky nail sice in setter of possessor carefully attach heat sink try not to smear the paste that will make it lose its conductivity and over heat bad and on the old p4 serec 50C to 70C is way to highe your cpu temp should be around 70F to 95 F thats stock i had and old p4 and Pentium d both got az low aze 50 F to 70 F
    mother boards around 70F with only fans and alot
    on newr cps like core two and core 2 doul and what nots they run very hot try to keep them arond 80F 105F id look up the proseors states to see what its operating range temp and keep it lower then that and yould do great fore a long time later
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

wat a coincidence
    two days ago itself i called up an engineer to look into the matter and thats exactly what he did
    CLEANED IT WITH A VACUUM , and mind you i actually found thick layers of dust between the fan and cpu. It was all cleaned up and a thermal paste was applied...........and
    now the cpu temp hardly crosses 55 C

Anyways thanx everyone
  17. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by boygenius
    wat a coincidence
    two days ago itself i called up an engineer to look into the matter and thats exactly what he did
    CLEANED IT WITH A VACUUM , and mind you i actually found thick layers of dust between the fan and cpu. It was all cleaned up and a thermal paste was applied...........and
    now the cpu temp hardly crosses 55 C

Anyways thanx everyone

Your welcome lol

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo