1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Current fan setup is not cooling sufficiently - suggestions?

Hello Dev Shed!

After dealing with much higher than average CPU temps, I finally bought the Xigmatek Crossbow LGA775 Bolt-Thru-Kit and some new compound for use with my existing Xigmatek HDT-S1283. Now, I'm getting CPU temps of approximately 35-37 for my Quad Core when running at peak, which I'm perfectly happy with.

However, I've discovered that my GPU generally runs at about 65-67 while gaming and both my hard drives are running at about 50-55 at peak, which is much too high for my comfort. Currently, other than my heatsink fan, I have one rear fan which is blowing air across the heatsink, and other fan which is blowing air across the hard drives, but both of the fans are old, cheap generics. Does anyone have any recommendations for new fans and/or a new fan setup that will help lower temps? Thank you.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Newer video cards are running warmer and warmer so 99.9% your temps there are fine. You will want air flowing over your hard drives and it's a good idea to at least give them a one slot gap, and don't place them near the "center" of the fan as that's a dead spot. As in another thread, Panaflow M1/L1A fans are awesome, as are the Xigmateks but are a bit harder to find as of late. If you really want to go crazy you can lap the heatsink but that will usually net you a 1* gain which honestly isn't worth it considering you can mess it up if you don't use a very smooth surface.
  5. No Profile Picture

Lightbulb you can cool it

http://gizmodo.com/5069892/mineral-oil+cooled-aquarium-pc-kit-now-available-for-purchase

check this kit it can cool your whole cpu like a car radiator

Comments on this post

• Cerberus2k7 disagrees : Posting links about products that are both expensive and impractical for the OPs application.
  7. No Profile Picture

As far as your graphics card goes, if you have another pci slot you could checkout a pci cooler, they have special cards that are just fans with exhaust out the back that fit into a pci slot and pull heat off of your GPU

Comments on this post

• jzd disagrees : You seem to keep digging up old threads.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo