Thread: damaged laptop

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

damaged laptop

Hi everybody
    I'm new here, and I'm not so cluey about computer hardware.
    When a fan is not working there is a chance that the CPU and/or the motherboard is damaged, I believe? How do I tell?
    This toshiba-clone laptop fell off the desk, been repaired, but kept shutting down. Then I got it.
    Since I've had it, it's just getting worse. Not starting now, but attempting to with a long beep. I found the fan was not working and a piece of plastic in its housing. Maybe that was blocking the fan and made it burn out. Would it burn out if it was blocked?
    I'm thinking of finding a new fan on ebay to see if that was the problem.
    Cheers,
    furball
  3. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

The single long beep often means the cpu fan isn't turning, so a new fan could do it, assuming the chip hasn't been damaged by heat if it were on when the fan wasn't working. Can't hurt to try, though you may want a shop to do the switch if you aren't really comfortable inside computers, since laptops can be more tricky than desktops.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks for your reply Dave.
    I haven't done much poking about inside laptops, but I thought this looks quite straightforward.
    The fan compartment is held in with 4 screws that have to be tightened in a certain sequence, and there is what looks like a plug-in connection for the wires. Is there more to it than that?

furball
  7. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by furball
    Thanks for your reply Dave.
    I haven't done much poking about inside laptops, but I thought this looks quite straightforward.
    The fan compartment is held in with 4 screws that have to be tightened in a certain sequence, and there is what looks like a plug-in connection for the wires. Is there more to it than that?

furball
    Probably not. If you have a bit of ability and have made sure you understand what you're doing, you shouldn't have any problems. I just have the disclaimer in there for people who don't know which end of the screwdriver to use, and have never seen the inside of a computer before.
    Good luck
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo