1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Gigabyte 3D Rocket Pro on socket 775 - how to make it fit?

Hey,

I just got a new mobo (Asus AS8 with LATEST BIOS UPDATE) along with a Prescott 775 3.2ghz. I knew the problems with prescotts running hot so i thought it sensible to buy a good aftermarket cooler (my prescott runs 60 degrees idle with the stock cooler!). I got the gigabyte 3d rocket pro along with my cpu order, and promptly screwed the retention mechanism to the back of the motherboard. However i found that when i placed the heatsink into it, nothing locked into place, it just sat there, barely touching the RM.

The email i sent to my retailer describes it better:

It seems that the retention mechanism is simply inadequate; having screwed the LGA775 RM to the motherboard from the underside, there seems no obvious way of fixing the heatsink to it. It seems to just to rest against the RM but i wouldn't want to risk standing my tower up as were it to fall out (it seems it could very easily do so) it could cause some serious damage. The instructions seem incomplete, are poorly illustrated and in broken english, and google search didn't help me either.
    Has anyone else experienced this? I really need to get my CPU temp down. For anyone who is interested, yes my case cooling is terrible and i'll sort that out on next month's paycheck.

Thanks for any help in advance,

Ben

PS - I get the warning "CPU is unworkable" when i start up, even though i've updated bios, and i'm not overclocking - any ideas?
  3. No Profile Picture

Hi there

I have a gigabyte rocket pro cooler too and yes the manual is not saying enough to install it properly. After about 30 minutes of looking at the mounting brackets without having a clue what to do I finally figured out you need the 2 P4 brackets to press it into place. So first fit the RM bracket
    then place the cooler onto the CPU and then use the 2 brackets (clicking one side underneath the plastic slot) and the finally press the side with the level down on the other end.

No idea about the CPU error though

Michel Erwich
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks, i'll try that tonight and let you know how it went.

Ben
  7. No Profile Picture

Sorry for the double post - an update - tried your method and saw what you were talking about, alas the cooler isnt compatible with my motherboard because theres a capacitor right under one of the two points the clips press on. Thanks for your help.

On a positive note, got rid of the awful thermal material on stock heatsink and applied arctic silver, now idling at 42 degrees rather than 60!

Will be returning the gigabyte cooler anyway.

Ben

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo