1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

GPU fan busted...

hey guys, hoping you can help me here.

I recently found out that my graphics card fan was broken. Well it was knocked out of its usual resting place, and it seemed that it had been unhinged.

I guess I have to buy a new fan. I have an Nvidia GeForce 3 Ti500 64mb video card, and was wondering what kind of fan i should buy? because i have no idea..

do i just go up a computer store and ask him for a geforce 3 fan? and fix it in? how exactly do i go about this?

many thanks for helping.
  3. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

You can buy replacement heatsinks and fans from places like Newegg or a computer shop. Check compatibility for one that works with your card. Depending what you use the computer for though, it might be just as well to buy a newer inexpensive video card with better performance.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by karsh44
    You can buy replacement heatsinks and fans from places like Newegg or a computer shop. Check compatibility for one that works with your card. Depending what you use the computer for though, it might be just as well to buy a newer inexpensive video card with better performance.
    Oh right, thanx. Yeah I was actually thinking of getting an inexpensive 128 or 256 mb card, because prices seem to be dropping. I normally use the computer for games, but obviously havent been able to do so because of the fan situation.
    Thanks very much again...and does Newegg cater to only US Residents, because I'm out of the US.
  7. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

I believe newegg is US only, but that was just an example. For gaming, I would definitely recommend an upgrade, rather than just replacing the fan.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

yeh, the Ti series are outdated by several years now.

something like a 6600gt should be a fairly cheap upgrade and would seriously boost performance. what's your price range? and location (so we can find you a good online retailer)
  11. Contributing User

I think any fan that has the same amperage and size and would fit in would do.

Just go to a hardware store, maybe radioshack etc. Get a small fan to fit on top of the gpu. Once i had this fever of cooling whatever inside the case and had some fun time fitting fans in various places.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I bought an nvsilencer for my 6800, and it works nicely. If you have the space in your case, you can always just buy a small CPU heatsink and mount it to your video card.
  15. No Profile Picture

I have put generic 40mm fan on it, and it really helps. (applied some AS5 thermal paste too )

Just got a fan, what's for your Gef3, Thermaltake CRYSTAL ORB (A1178) VGA Chipset Cooling Fan, it has 12.4 cfm @ 26.4 dBA -> 50mm fan, it has real power ... at 5500rpm. only for 9$

But this Spire 3A09S2 40mm Sleeve MB Chipset or Vga Chipset Cooling Fan is nice too, it's an 40mm fan, 5.4CFM @ 4500rpm - 23dBa only for 4$.
  17. Thinking!

I concur. Any one of those fans would be ideal for your ti500 card, especially the first one as it kicks out much more cfm for only a little bit extra cash.

I had a ti500 card a few years ago and it rocked. But you would be best upgrading to a newer model as the old trusty ti series are not able to handle todays games.

Let us know what your system comprises off so we can work out what card would suit best.

Ice.
  19. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by unity100
    I think any fan that has the same amperage and size and would fit in would do.

Just go to a hardware store, maybe radioshack etc. Get a small fan to fit on top of the gpu. Once i had this fever of cooling whatever inside the case and had some fun time fitting fans in various places.
    If radio shack doesn't have what you need for these sorts of repair projects, check jameco.com ... they've got just about any electronics part you could need.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo