1. Y? Y!?
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

'Heat pipe' CPU cooler questions

Hi All,

I have a couple of questions relating to heat pipe style CPU coolers (with integrated fans). Specifically, I am asking about the Gigabyte G-Power Lite cooler (see here for details).

1. Can they be installed (and function effectively) on vertically-positioned motherboards - where the heatsink and fan is positioned horizontally from the CPU - and not sitting above the CPU like many pictures show?

2. If it can be, should the pipes be oriented upwards, downwards, sideways? Or doesn't it matter. The reason I ask is that this cooler has 3 pipes on 1 side, so I'm thinking that orientation might be more important when installing in a vertically-positioned motherboard.

Thanks,
    mlh2003.
    print join'',(reverse sort map{/\d([a-z])\d/}split/\W/,'$5l6@314&60f%3h4#moo^1m2'),(map{/\d(\d)/}grep/\w\d/,reverse split/\W/,'a2&2b#9i*30%42'),(unpack"AA",(chr(0b110000).chr(0b110011)));
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Facing the pipes upwards makes the most sense, as heat rises, and so there fore is moving away from the heatsink earlier. I guess is also depends on which side the fan will face....it will probably be best if it faced towards the front of the case.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I have the Tuniq Tower and its amazing, heating pipe methods work best facing upwards because as mentioned heat rises, but it wouldnt be that signifcant because of the actual surface area of the chip isnt that huge.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo