1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Heat smell to computer, maybe

I started to notice a hot smell near my computer desk. Not sure if it is definitely the computer, it could be the monitor. I turned both units off and the smell went away. I am currently trying to assess which one it is. It usually seems that when something doesn't work properly, it is because you changed something. History: My CPU failed about a month ago and I purchased and installed a new CPU, not refurbished. I recently moved my desk and my computer, a desktop tower, is now sitting in the corner, up against the wall. It is not in a cabinet. I had about a 2 inch clearance on the side and about 8 to 10 inches in the back with the monitor, a 19" sitting next to it.

So my question, is it okay to run your computer with the side panel off? Does it make it cooler, or does it make it worse?

Both fans are running. When I replaced the CPU, I thoroughly cleaned the heat sink with compressed air. I have moved the computer also, it now has about 5 inches of air space on the left hand side, the panel that opens side.

Thank you.
  3. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Have you run a program like speedfan to check the temps in your PC?

Are you experiencing any performance issues, or is the computer freezing or rebooting spontaneously?

Did you put thermal paste between the new CPU and the heat sink when you installed it?

Have you tried just turning off the monitor and/or just turning off the PC to see if the smell goes away then?

Leaving the side panel off doesn't usually do much, if the fans are operating and the fan grills are clear.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I had similar experience with my compaq monitor when it was very new, when asked dealer he said, nothing to worry about it. After 7 years it is dead now, not working at all.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo