Heating problems??

My computer specs is a follows,
    Intel pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz
    Intel D101DGC motherboard
    1.5Gb RAM,
    160Gb sata and 40Gb IDE hard-disks
    LG DVD writer
    450watts power supply

I recently added a Zotac 9600GT ,1Gb to my pc and then the problems have started

If use my pc for some 30minutes or so and then switch of my pc. I am not able to switch it on again cause the computer just stops in the first screen showing my motherboard LOGO ("INTEL") I just don't know why this is happening, also my graphics card will be pretty hot after i switch off my system.

There r just two fans inside, one on the processor and one on the graphics, if i add an extra fan inside the cabinet will it help?

My pc switches on fine if i leave my pc alone for sometime and then switch it on....

Please suggest a solution.......... thank you..........
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

maybe you'll need a better cooling system. does your vid card has it's own cooling fan? if not try to buy a cooling system for vid card.. if yes get yourself a better exhaust system.. hope this could help
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by ponybn
    My computer specs is a follows,
    Intel pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz
    Intel D101DGC motherboard
    1.5Gb RAM,
    160Gb sata and 40Gb IDE hard-disks
    LG DVD writer
    450watts power supply
    Do you know what type of P4 by any chance? Namely, the core or possibly the marketed name for your chip (e.g. "Pentium 4 3.0 w/ Hyperthreading! vs something like Pentium 4 531)?

There r just two fans inside, one on the processor and one on the graphics, if i add an extra fan inside the cabinet will it help?
    You should definitely have some sort of cooling inside the case as well, especially with those type of components. Look at adding one to pull air in and possibly one to blow air out of the case itself.

If you have a household fan, you can actually open the side of your case and set the fan a foot or so blowing air into the case. That may help temporarily, but having actual fans in the case would be recommended.
  7. No Profile Picture

The graphics card has its own fan, does it have anything to do with the power supply?? i think i should have an extra fan inside the cabinet.. thanks..
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by ponybn
    The graphics card has its own fan, does it have anything to do with the power supply?? i think i should have an extra fan inside the cabinet.. thanks..
    Without some sort of case cooling, the GPU and CPU fans are merely moving hot air around a device that's already hot; also keep in mind that they're working alongside several other devices that are dissipating a fair bit of heat as well. You should definitely have (or add) some sort of fan in your case that removes the hot air, pulls cool air in, or ideally both.

The power supply is definitely a possibility since you've added new hardware that probably draws more current. If you look on the side of your power supply, what does it specifically say the amperages are on the +12Vn (where n is probably 1-4) rails?
  11. No Profile Picture

^ i agree.. it is important to keep the circulating air cool to prevent more damages to your CPU...
  13. No Profile Picture

You should changed your cooling system and buy a good one to escape overheating problem.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo