1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

My heatsink's connector to my motherboard broke!

So i was gamingh last night and all of a sudden my system shuts down. I open up my case to see my heatsink dismounted and the plastic part that keeps the thing in place has snapped off.

I took my PC to geek squad but they said i needed to have a specific part for them to fix is so......

Currently i have the system horizontal and the heatsink mounted by sheer gravity power alone. Workin fine but i want a permanent fix not just some jerryrigging operation.

Where can i find the parts i need for this? I tryed calling HP but all i got was the run around and some idian lady telling me i have to send my system in.(I just put a Geforce 8800gt and new power supply in, there's no way i'm shipping this thing off)

ALL I NEED IS THE PART THAT HOLDS THE HEATSINK ON TO THE MOTHERBOARD!!

MY SPEC
    HP Media Center m8400f
    Motherboard = Nforce430

ps I might just thermal glue this thing, leave it unhitched to the MOBO and just keep it lying flat horizontal. I refuse to send my PC in, and anyway i'm a world of warcraft addict.
  3. Malware Warrior /AV forum Mod
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Is that the one with the AMD Phenom 9500?

In any case stop using it till it is fixed one way or another. You are going to fry that chip with just gravity holding that on.
    Neera: The wraith will not allow us to escape.
    Sheppard: Yeah, well I try not to let them tell me what I can and can't do.
    Neera: You do not fear them?
    Sheppard: The wraith, nah. Now clowns that's another story. They scare the crap out of me.

5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Well currectly with my heatsink not mounted(which just allows the computer to stand vertically) my chip is running 39-41C idle and stress test's 100% load at 49-53C.

I have applied thermal paste and am just waiting for my AM2 bracket to ship. So i'm sittin pretty and able to game for now.

Also.....love the Avatar man, Colonel O'Neal is my idol!!(Watched stargate ever since it premiered on HBO all those years ago)

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo