1. !Ruff Ryder!
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Can someone help me to get my temps down please???

Hey everyone,

My computer is running damn hot these days and I hate it! (My specs are in my sig.) I have 5 case fans. 2 rear ones are sucking in air. Window fan is pushing air out, and 2 front fans are pushing air out too. Right now my temps are okay (46 CPU and 44 system) but that's only because the side panel is off. I tucked away as many wires as I could so I don't know if anything could be restricting the airflow... Usually my IDLE temps with the panel on are 50 CPU and 49 system, which I beleive considering the fact that my side fan is blowing out hot air.

My case is a Raidmax Scorpio 868 http://www.whiningdog.net/Reviews/PC...X868/index.php and those are some pics of what it looks like.

If anyone wants I can post up some pics of what my inside looks like.

I was thinking about a new case though, like a full tower because they have more airflow... should I bother or is there a way I can reconfigure my fans or whatever?

Thanks a lot...
    My b0x:
    AMD XP Barton 2800+ @ Stock speed... (going up again soon in winter!!!)
    2 x 512MB Kingston RAM for 1GB dual channel
    1 x 120GB HDD (soon another ) ( <-- God I've been saying this for like a year )
    SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS (0wN5!!!)
    Logitech Z-5300 speakers (0wN5!!!)
    ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro (0wN5!!!)
    Black ViewSonic A91f+@1280x1024@75Hz (0wN5!!!) (Well, too bad I can't go 1600x1200 above 60Hz )

If I helped you out please consider helping a poor college student get a free iPod for his long commute by signing up here with my referal link:
    My Link
    (I will pay you $10-$20 if you want to cover the cost of the offer for you. ***This ISNT a scam. I personally know a girl who recieved one a few months ago!***)
  3. Infernal Technomancer

I would think that reversing the flow... the front and side fans blowing in and the rear fans blowing out would help a little.

You particularly want that side fan to blow in, better cooling for your chipset and add-on cards that way.

What do you have in the way of processor heatsink and fan?
    Asker of questions and all-around annoying guy.

For difficult hardware problems, go to the Hard Side™-- DevHardware Forums
  5. !Ruff Ryder!

Okay.. haha but I just reversed it all not too long ago just to see if it would make a diff... I don't think it did.

My CPU cooling is stock. The reason why I had the rear fans input air is because it is level and close to my CPU heatsink and fan and I though air directly from the outside would help it... but I don't think it did much or at all...

Now that I think of it my fans were good in their original (reversed from now) position but I'm gonna have to cut some metal from the front of the case because there is a stupid grid in front of the fans that make them suck/push like junk.

Should I bother upgrading my CPU Hs & fan? I heard it won't affect my temps THAT much. I *can* afford water cooling but there's no use cooling a processor with a small core like my barton because that won't be worth it.

Is getting a full-tower case gonna help me in any way though to bring my temps down?
    My b0x:
    Black ViewSonic A91f+@1280x1024@75Hz (0wN5!!!) (Well, too bad I can't go 1600x1200 above 60Hz )

If I helped you out please consider helping a poor college student get a free iPod for his long commute by signing up here with my referal link:
    My Link
    (I will pay you $10-$20 if you want to cover the cost of the offer for you. ***This ISNT a scam. I personally know a girl who recieved one a few months ago!***)
  7. Infernal Technomancer

Stock heatsinks and fans can be pretty crappy sometimes, a third-party HSF with a dab of Artic Silver 5 would probably bring your temps down a degree or two.

More space in the enclosure means more air to heat up, it also means you have more room for fans to get good circulation.

This is getting beyond my area of expertise, my buds over at DevHardware can help you out better, I think. Be sure to search the PC cooling forums first, the answers may be there already.
    Asker of questions and all-around annoying guy.

For difficult hardware problems, go to the Hard Side™-- DevHardware Forums
  9. !Ruff Ryder!

Ok thanks for the help.
    My b0x:

My Link
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

This is Late, but may help

Hey...

I wish I could recommend a heatsink/fan for you but my knowledge with AMD is limited. But, with my intel I did notice a change in the temps when I bought a different PSU. I noticed your PSU did appear to have a fan on the inside sucking the hot air in, but it seemed poorly placed. If you could get one directly over the heatsink (i.e. the bottom of the PSU) that would help a fair amount. Also, look into getting the fans the case came with upgraded if they were the original ones. It may only help one or two degrees, but it sounds like you want everything you can get.

A final thing, make sure your case is as dust free as you can get it. (I am sure you have done most/all of this, but just reminding you, because I know I forget the little things every now and then).

Do you have a virus on there that is causing your processor to be running all the time that you don't know about?

I will keep thinking of anything else that may help, but for right now I am stumped.
  13. !Ruff Ryder!

Thanks, but because of my motherboard I don't think I can fit a fan at the bottom of my PSU because my CPU heatsink is in the way, I did consider this idea though.

I'm thinking of getting a TT Extreme Volcano 12, but at 700+ grams I am kinda paranoid but some poeple say I shouldn't worry. If I absolutely can't get my temps low enough with the new HS/F I'll try to mod my case I'll try to fit a 120mm up front and maybe jack my case a few mm off the ground and add a 120mm at the bottom. It was never this hot untill I got my 9800 Pro... My wires are tucked, and my computer is spotless and I have a clean Windows install so i got no viruses.

What's your experience with heavy heatsinks?
    My b0x:

My Link
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Personally, I think all this cooling stuff is a little crazy. Especially if you are only looking to cool by a couple of degrees. Your temps are pretty good, in fact, better than mine right now. Unless you're into overclocking, I'd say forgetaboudit.

I use one fan for the case and one fan that came on the graphics board. It's actually my sons computer but I think the temps were around 50-55C and he's a heavy game player and game admin.

5 fans! That's wild, man. (I'm a former computer hardware designer who used to work for Silicon Graphics and Pixar, from back in the days when they made hardware).
  17. fork while true;
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine
    Personally, I think all this cooling stuff is a little crazy. Especially if you are only looking to cool by a couple of degrees. Your temps are pretty good, in fact, better than mine right now. Unless you're into overclocking, I'd say forgetaboudit.

I use one fan for the case and one fan that came on the graphics board. It's actually my sons computer but I think the temps were around 50-55C and he's a heavy game player and game admin.

5 fans! That's wild, man. (I'm a former computer hardware designer who used to work for Silicon Graphics and Pixar, from back in the days when they made hardware).
    I dont think it is silly, i used to keep my case off in summer, my HDDs were getting hot enough to cook a meal on, and I like to keep it all cool.

You'd be surprised how much more performance you get, but on top of that, its peace of mind.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If your drives are getting that hot then there's more wrong than what a fan can do. If you don't have a/c and it's a hundred degrees in your room with no ventilation then that's not a problem with the computer.

ICs and hard drives and motherboard circuitry and processors are designed to run within a certain temperature range. If you are within that range the only way to speed them up is with the clock. (Though, yes, technically there could be a performance increase/decrease due to temperature but this should be negligible).

Even reliability and long term life won't degrade that much if you are within spec. I just think the extra effort is not worth it. Just buy a faster uP.
  21. !Ruff Ryder!

Yeah I see what you mean but I'm not paranoid I'm just into overclocking... This winter my computer was OC'd from a 2800+ to a 3400+ and my max load temps were 63C. Now it's summer, it's hot and even with the side panel off my case I IDLE at 50C!!! And the worst part is, it's not OC'd anymore. Beleive me I would go out and buy a dual core AMD 64 bit chip and all that crazy stuff if I had the money but my computer is fast enough and I only OC it for kicks, and also because, face it, a computer can never be too fast. (I noticed a huge difference with that OC from boot times to everything else.....)

My temps were okay a few weeks ago but I think my Radeon AIW 9800 Pro is makin all the heat. So now I'm almost 100% sure to get a Thermaltake Volcano 12+ and I was hesitating between getting other stuff like RAM coolers, modding my case to fit a few 120mm's ande getting a PCI slot cooler thingy to blow air fresh air directly at my AGP card but I think I wanna "waste" my money on my car instead
    My b0x:

My Link

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo