Thread: Laptop cooler

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Laptop cooler

Hello all,

I have an IBM Thinkpad R40 that is about 5 years old now. Recently, it started shutting itself down after about an hours worth of use due to overheating. I have two questions related to this:

1) Would using the laptop in conjunction with a laptop cooler help?
    2) What is a good model / brand to purchase? I do not want to spend a large amount of money on one but don't want one I'll have to replace in a year or so.

Thanks in advance.
  3. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Not a direct answer to your question but just checking: did you try to clean out the five years of dust you've accumulated from the fan intake? It might work miracles. I know cleaning just 2 years of cat hair from a desktop computer here made it run a LOT cooler (up to 10C on a hot day).
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  5. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by lokisapocalypse
    Hello all,

I have an IBM Thinkpad R40 that is about 5 years old now. Recently, it started shutting itself down after about an hours worth of use due to overheating. I have two questions related to this:

1) Would using the laptop in conjunction with a laptop cooler help?
    2) What is a good model / brand to purchase? I do not want to spend a large amount of money on one but don't want one I'll have to replace in a year or so.

Thanks in advance.
    1) It might, depending on what the problem is... Try medialint's suggestion if you already haven't.
    2) I have an Antec cooler for mine which I've been using for about 2 years so far and it's doing great. Definitely helped keep my computer from shutting off.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Hello all,

I wanted to update the thread. I did in fact clean out the dust but that appeared to be only a temporary solution. I have two coolers in mind that fit my price range:

DataStor
    Antec

I'm currently leaning toward the DataStor one but would be curious to solicit the advice of those more knowledgeable than myself in these matters.
  9. They're coming to take me away

I've never used DataStor, but I have used Antec, and have been satisfied with them.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo