1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Laptop Super Hot On Top

My girlfriend's laptop is a Compaq Presario M2000 and it gets super hot on top where your hands rest and on the touch pad.

Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this? Are there any solutions for keeping laptops cooler than they are? I've only built desktops, but I have taken apart her laptop to fix her screen that was falling off.

It just gets way too hot. She has a laptop cooler to put under it with fans, which keeps thighs from burning up, but below the keyboard is always really hot and make it uncomfortable to use. My hands get sweaty just using it.

Any advice?
  3. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Has it always gotten so hot, or only recently? Does it get hot if the computer is on but just sitting there, or only when you are using it? Do some applications seem to run hotter than others?

There are a number of laptop desks available that can reduce temperature to a greater or lesser degree, but mostly they are focused on keeping heat from becoming uncomfortable for the user (on their lap), rather than greatly reducing the heat from the computer itself. They will generally keep the computer cooler though, since they provide a hard flat surface for good airflow, and can conduct some heat away as well.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hey you can get a cooling pad for your laptop.
  7. No Profile Picture

Maybe that's a good idea , but you'd better make sure your laptop works well, nothing is wrong .
  9. Not much of a contributor
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

It seems like the processor is right under it, which is odd. The question is if the cooling device is working. You can bring it to a service center if it's under warranty. I suggest not to use it until the heating problem is resolved otherwise you could damage the processor or maybe more than that.
  11. Prisoner of the Sun

This happened to my laptop once - it would get so hot so my fingers would leave beads of sweat on the keys.

I was in the middle of my final degree project though, so I couldn't send it off to be repaired (I just backed up my work every day). I aided it by aiming 2 or 3 desktop fans at it and raising it off the desk slightly!

After a while though the motherboard melted! Luckily it was still under warranty and it was repaired with no data loss.
    It turned out that the fan had broken.
    :: My blip.fm tunes :: Web Design Feeds :: Web Dev Feeds :: CheatSheets :: PHP :: MySQL :: 13 Moon FB App.

"All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. We are all one consciousness experiencing itself - subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream. We are the imaginations of ourselves."
    - Bill Hicks

"Truth is hidden in the subtle nature of the heart of everything, although it is invisible. One cannot see it from inside and neither from the surface. One can only live and experience it."
    - Heart Sutra
  13. Not much of a contributor
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

I'm having the same problem with the laptop im now using... its overheating. sob...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo