1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Do laptops actually need a cooling pad?

I've always wondered, do you really need cooling pads for laptops? I mean, shouldn't the manufacturer build a product that doesn't overheat?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I mean, shouldn't the manufacturer build a product that doesn't overheat?
    Yes, but that doesn't mean they do.

Whether you need one depends on what laptop it is and what you're doing with it. I have a Dell laptop that requires a cooling pad when gaming, otherwise the CPU underclocks itself by 50% to avoid damaging itself.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. Contributing User

I think it depends on the processor.
    I had several laptops though the years, and have noticed that my laptops that used Intel Pentiums run hotter than my laptops that used AMD processors.

In fact the Pentium 4 were the worst, the bottom of the laptop was quite warm, actually more on the hot side. After I used a cooling pad, the laptop ran very smooth with no lag.
  7. No Profile Picture

shouldn't the manufacturer build a product that doesn't overheat?
    Its hard to build a laptop thin enough the consumer enjoys it but thick enough to have fans that can handle the heat. Laptops sometimes are put on laps or beds that decreases the input and output of air usually and creates heat naturally. A cooling pad is a great way to get rid of the heat and help it cool its self. If you don't have one a cookie sheet works okay.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by hitec
    I think it depends on the processor.
    I had several laptops though the years, and have noticed that my laptops that used Intel Pentiums run hotter than my laptops that used AMD processors.

In fact the Pentium 4 were the worst, the bottom of the laptop was quite warm, actually more on the hot side. After I used a cooling pad, the laptop ran very smooth with no lag.
    you are rigt it depends on the processor,but i think the AMD processors runs hotter and the system hault with heat during work.i had personal experience with AMD.
  11. No Profile Picture

My brothers laptop fries my lap and my reproductive organ when i played cnc3 tw. I put a wooden block with holes between my lap and laptop 8D
  13. No Profile Picture

Re:Do laptops really need a cooling pad?

If you use laptop computers frequently , then cooling pads are a good idea. Not only do they increase the comfort of using your laptop, but they help protect the hardware and everything that is stored inside your computer.
  15. No Profile Picture

Some of my friends, who play games, have got cooling pads.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

it depends on the laptop, some old laptop with pentium 4 required allot of cooling,

on the other hand, newer laptops with the current generation of intel processors, like celeron/i3 , does not require any more cooling, and they stay very within acceptable limits.
  19. No Profile Picture

I don't use any cooling pad. As you can say the summer temp in my area is about 45 Celsius. But i only put my laptop on some small object which lift up the laptop and its cooling system become freely. Also i use to throw a blower so that its fan will clean and didn't chock with dust.
  21. No Profile Picture

I like having a cooling pad. My dell studio laptop runs really hot if I try to play any game on it. The vents usually get blocked if I just put it onto a flat and solid surface.
  23. No Profile Picture

It's necessary to having a cooling pad for your laptop.It will keeps your laptop processor from being hot.
  25. No Profile Picture

It doesn't boost performance at all. The only reason is to increase the longevity of the laptop. Keeping it cool is for security, not performance, because a laptop can only take so much heat over time before it burns out. you can overclock it and then it will boost performance. Overclocking your laptop will make it hotter and that is where cooling pad should find use.
  27. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I mean, shouldn't the manufacturer build a product that doesn't overheat?
    The Ford Pinto used to explode during minor traffic accidents. Yes, they should do it right. They often do not.

Also note that there's a reason Apple doesn't market their computers as "lap tops" at all. They get too hot to safely be held on your lap when they're running all-out. Apple markets "macbooks" and "portables," not "laptops."

As others have mentioned, P4 laptops get REALLY hot (we used to put them in a drawer with cold pizza to heat our dinner in college). Apple laptops also get hot. You increase the longevity by keeping the machine cool, regardless of how you use it, but if you frequently put your running laptop on cloth (carpet, couch, or bed) you definitely need something to boost it off the ground and keep air flowing.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Not all but some might need a cooling pad for extra cooling.. People who should defiantly use a cooling pad are the ones that use their laptop while they are on the bed. If you tend to leave your laptop on your bed then you may need to use a cooling pad as because of the bed and blanket blocking the vents on the bottom of the laptop can cause the laptop to get very hot.. Having the laptop get hot for a while will cause it to burn out and be damage and due to this I think people who use their laptop on their bed should def use a cooling pad also.

These days cooling pads aren't that expensive anyways. You can easily go on ebay and purchase yourself a very nice cooling pad.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo