Thread: Is this normal?

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Is this normal?

Got a warning from my bios cause apparently my CPU went above 185 F. No that's not the question...

Question is... Is it normal for my CPU to be idle at 109-133F. If not any suggestions on how to fix?

CPU is a P4 3.0 currently under clocked.

Thanks for any help in advance...

Tonya
  3. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

well it can be, for me i have my BIOS set to control the CPU fan so it does stay in that region (actually i have it set to keep it under 60C), but i can only do that because i have a huge fan (well just really fast and loud one) that can cool my CPU very nicely so it never passes the 60C mark

if you CPU is idling at 109-133 with 100% CPU fan cooling, then i would say no, 109 is OK, but 133 is high for an idle CPU
  5. No Profile Picture

Ok so i picked up a new CPU fan that was designed for a P4 3.2 hoping it would help out...

My current idle temp is now at a steady 122F (50C) fluctuating only a few degrees up and down. I also put another fan in pulling air out of the system. Somehow I don't think the fan helped all that much... may need to try a different one... Any Suggestions? budget would be under $50
  7. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

What is the temp in the room? Air cooling can only do so much if you're in a hot room. Fan wise, pulling in the front, blowing out the back is good to give airflow through the case.
    To get more temperature reduction, try reattaching the fan using some Arctic Silver thermal paste rather than the thermal pad or silicon paste I assume came with the heatsink. Be sure to clean the heatsink and cpu with some rubbing alcohol or acetone to get off the current thermal goop. Arctic Silver can drop you a couple degrees C right there, and is very inexpensive.

If that doesn't get you the temps you want, a big copper heatsink could be what you need. I like Zalman myself.
    Beyond that you could try lapping the cpu for a smoother surface and better contact with the heatsink, or look into water cooling. There are kits available that make it pretty easy to do.

HTH
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  9. No Profile Picture

Room temp is generally around 65-70F if not colder... And thanks for the info.

Also i noticed (downloaded Motherboard Monitor) and that temp and the temp the bios is giving me is different. MBM is about 25F cooler than what the bios is telling...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo