1. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Problem with overheating in my system.

hi, I have a problem with my system being too hot when the case is closed, especially my GPU and PSU. My CPU have got a new fan and seems to be below 60 degrees. I have used Speedfan to test the temperatures.

General System information
    I have now started to think about how to improve the air flow.
    I have tried to add more fans into the system, on to the front and to the back, but don't think they are powerful enough.
    What fan can be recommended? which have high enough CFM but still doesn't sounds like a jet engine?

I also consider to get a new case tower if that can help to get better air flow.
    I had a look on the SilverStone TJ05, but are there better and cheaper towers?

about the PSU: Hiper Type-R 580W
    My PSU sometimes feels like i can cook eggs on it.
    One of the fan inside the PSU had been changed. It is a thin fan kind but don't think it can handle the heat.

about the GPU: Nvidia GeForce 7900 GTX
    This one can get as hight to 70 degrees and i am afraid it has been damage since i have graphic error in games, even at lower temperatures.

I have thought about getting a GTX295 or HD4870X2, but not sure which one i should get.

All help will be appreciated.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

First thing, dust!
    Second thing, wiring! If you have a rats nest of wires then air wont flow so well. Also check your fans to see how they are set. Usually in the front I will have 1-2 120mm intake fans, 1 120mm side intake fan, 1 120mm exhaust fan at the top, another 120mm exhaust at the back, and then the PSU also exhausts. If you do want to swap fans out though, the Panaflo M1/L1A series is pretty much tried and proven; but the new kid on the block is Xigmatek and a lot of people are having awesome CFM/DBL ratios. You could also clean the CPU/GPU and apply Arctic Silver 5 and make sure you're getting the best contact since most OEM thermal pads are very poor with temp control.

Video card wise is fine. If you're overheating you will usually get artifacting if it's your RAM that's the issue, but IIRC the card has a built in fail safe and will crash back to the desktop when it reaches 90 or 95*C. PSU brand I have never heard of to be honest and that may be an issue; and may cause instability if the rails aren't stable enough. Case wise, SilverStone, Cooler Master, Antec, and Lian Li all make very stout and well flowing cases. But if you have poor wire managment and a poor fan placement it won't do you any good.
  5. Lord of the Dance

Thanks for your insight.

About the dust, I do have a small air compressor to clean the case.

I will try to look at the case and fan manufacture you listed. My components placement in my case is a big mess, that definitely doesn't help for better air flow.

I had bought a new graphic card (HD4850) and the cards temperature is better/lower than the old one.

I haven't noticed any problem related to power usage, but think there is some errors with my RAM. Just too bad it is impossible to find any cheap DDR ram.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Wow, I totally did not notice the date this was posted!

The 48xx series I have found run a bit cooler than the comparable nVidia cards which I find odd since they are owned by AMD and their chips usually run hot. Anyways, what case do you have? The Silverstone(and a lot of cases now a days) have their own wire managment that you can take advantage of. My Antec 300 for example has some built in ties behind the motherboard tray to help with air flow; and if you have some extra cash and want something new; a lot of PSUs are being sleeved for improve flow and visuals. But you can get extremely good results with a bag of zip ties and if you're feeling daring, take a dremel to your case. I'll usually cut a rectangular hole by the motherboard, run some split loom, and run my SATA cables; and also flip my hard drives around so the cable is coming in on the mobo tray/front bezel area which I have found helps keep wires away from the more critical areas.

To be honest it's kinda like an art. And you will become hooked. Next thing you know you will be using a non conductive smoke to fill your case to check your air flow and you will start extending cables so you can route it behind the mobo tray. Once that happens though, it's time to admit you have a problem.
  9. Lord of the Dance

Originally Posted by Cerberus2k7
    Wow, I totally did not notice the date this was posted!
    he he.. I am not the one to complain.

my case is just a old one from Amitech, the standard kind where the PSU is at top and almost no space in it.. so it can only be better.

And I wont start to use a dremel or smoke.

But still wonder how much it will help if the room still feels like a sauna :P
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ah, well a very easy/cheap case mod is to cut out the fan grills(pending you don't have children who might stick their fingers into the fans.) Cheap cases will have a HUGE restriction there which will create back pressure and noise, and simply spending 30 mins to cut them out will usually make a noticeable difference in temps and noise. And saunas will help. Atmospheric water cooling!

EDIT: Not sure on picture rules, but here's a few pics of my old case after I did a quick hack job on the fan grills.

13. No Profile Picture

use a oil cooling system

now days there are some oil cooled kits for the pc which cools your car engine in the same way you can cool down the cpu heat.
    http://computer.howstuffworks.com/liquid-cooled-pc.htm
  15. No Profile Picture

I agree with Cerberus dust is a major factor. You also need to use cable ties to clean up your wire nest. i emailed few cooling sites and one of them ultimatpccooling.com recommended nexus intake fans and exhaust fans very quiet and good airflow.
    Download speedFan to monitor your GPU & CPU temperature

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo