Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

P4 3.4 Prescott overheating

Ok i Have a P4 3.4ghz Prescott - and im am getting very worried! I went out and got myself a Zalman LED Fan Cooler (CNPS7700-CuAu - Not sure). I went from 60 idle / 80 load to around 48 idle / 60 load. Its way too hot! I know these P4 prescotts can get hot but wow!

Is it ok at that heat? If not... Anything i can do to get it lower! I have 4 case fans too!

If there is a product (e.g. water cooling) which one?

Thanks
  3. fork while true;
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

I nearly didnt post in here because of the extremely rude ending to the tile of the post. In future please state your problem concisely and dont put any crap on the end.

Choose some good quality thermal grease. By good quality i mean `arctic silver 5`, nothing else.

Choose a nice big cooler, perhaps the Zalman P4 flower cooler with bracket fan? That should cool it to really low.

If not, i dread to think about someone taking this advice, do what my friend did, and rig up some cardboard tubing between the cooler fan and an air-con unit...

Dont go water cooling, it invalidates your warranty, unless you've got money to burn that is...
  5. Infernal Technomancer
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Well, you have a good start, dropping your initial temps by a good 20 degrees.

What kind of thermal compound did you use between the heatsink and the processor? You could try lapping said heatsink-- polish the base where it contacts the CPU, which will maximise contact between the two and improve heat-transfer.

You want to maximise the air flow through the case as well, ensuring there are fans blowing in and out in relatively equal proportions. Generally speaking, you want a front or bottom fan blowing in and one at the top blowing out. Larger fans make less noise while moving the same volume of air that a smaller fan would.

If you want to talk water-cooling or peltiers, then I'd suggest a change of venue-- my buds on the hard side (DevHardware) have a forum just for cooling and there are some real experts there: PC Cooling Forums
    Asker of questions and all-around annoying guy.

For difficult hardware problems, go to the Hard Side™-- DevHardware Forums
  7. Infernal Technomancer
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by LinuxPenguin
    Dont go water cooling, it invalidates your warranty, unless you've got money to burn that is...
    Don't those two pretty much go hand-in-hand anyway?
    Asker of questions and all-around annoying guy.

For difficult hardware problems, go to the Hard Side™-- DevHardware Forums
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I have the zalman flower P4 fan Thats the one I used the compound it came with. Im unsure what to do next...
  11. fork while true;

Originally Posted by l33ch
    I have the zalman flower P4 fan Thats the one I used the compound it came with. Im unsure what to do next...
    get arctic silver 5, much more efficient grease
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Any estimate on how much it may drop the degrees... Is it safe for this processor to run at this speed?
  15. fork while true;

Any estimate on how much it may drop the degrees... Is it safe for this processor to run at this speed?
    heh, its safe for the processor to run to 97 deg. C

Well higher than that, but for safety reasons, 97 is fine
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

So at 48-50 idle and while on games upto 65 (all oc) its fine Im glad! I dont have to spend money on other things

I have another question though..

I have plugged a 20 pin PSU connector ro my 24 pin connector on my motherboard. Since i changed psus on standby i get errors and microsoft say its a power failure or damaged hardware. I have ordered a 20 to 24 pin converter for my psu.. will that solve my problem?
  19. fork while true;

So at 48-50 idle and while on games upto 65 (all oc) its fine Im glad! I dont have to spend money on other things

I have another question though..

I have plugged a 20 pin PSU connector ro my 24 pin connector on my motherboard. Since i changed psus on standby i get errors and microsoft say its a power failure or damaged hardware. I have ordered a 20 to 24 pin converter for my psu.. will that solve my problem?
    yes.

Although i still recommend getting the arctic 5 its worht the $10.

AMD specify all motherboards for their processors must have a chip that turns it off at 97 deg. C. but it can go a bit higher safely
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for your help
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by LinuxPenguin
    yes.

Although i still recommend getting the arctic 5 its worht the $10.

AMD specify all motherboards for their processors must have a chip that turns it off at 97 deg. C. but it can go a bit higher safely
    Yes... OK I hope so asi have also once got a restart (the computer did) and microsoft say its a hardware malfunction. I hope this 20 - 24 pin addapter works
  25. fork while true;

Yes... OK I hope so asi have also once got a restart (the computer did) and microsoft say its a hardware malfunction. I hope this 20 - 24 pin addapter works
    it ought to. The thing is that you are using an ATX2 PSU. Its ok for ATX1 mobos i think, but ATX2 mobos cant use ATX1 PSUs. If I understand it right...
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Someone said i have a next gen mobo.. Its a 500watt psu the case i got 2 weeks ago came with.. heres the adapter i bought...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...11238&doy=11m7
  29. fork while true;

next gen probly means ATX2. Good job you got that new psu...
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo