1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

p4 3ghz hot with 7700CU!!

Hi,
    I just bought a new case (antec p180) and a new cpu fan (zalman 7700cu) because the cpu (p4 3.0ghz prescott s478) was too hot with intel's stock fan. After applying AS5 and mounting the cpu fan, i turned on the comp. and read the temps. In the BIOS and in the program EVEREST home edition it said that the cpu was 50 degrees! That's almost exactly the same temp as with the lousy stock fan!! Though this was at the cpu fan's slowest speed, the temp only dropped 3-4 degrees when i turned it up to max speed. My friend has the exact same cpu fan, but his cpu is 3,4ghz prescott and socket 775, and his idle temp is 40 degrees (10 degrees lower than mine even though my case is better at cooling!!)

If somebody could help me and explain what is wrong, I would very much appreciate it!
  3. Infernal Technomancer
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Did you follow the instructions for applying the AS5 to the letter? If you put too much on there, it will hamper the heat-transfer.

You could also try lapping the heatsink. Bear in mind that the BIOS readings aren't always accurate, either.
    Asker of questions and all-around annoying guy.

For difficult hardware problems, go to the Hard Side™-- DevHardware Forums
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

So the next time your buddy is bragging that his cooling solution on an ASUS board is better than the one on your ABIT board just laugh and say whatever! If he doesn't believe you show him this article and put him in his place! At the current time it is not possible to consider comparing temperatures between two different brand lines.
    Core Temperatures Examined
  7. No Profile Picture

Hi again,

Yes I have carefully read the instructions for applying as5, but you are right i might have gotten a bit too much on but i don't think that is the major factor.

I would very much appreciate to receive more suggestions.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo