1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Exclamation P4 Prescott running hot, is it to hot?

This is my first post so if it's at all confusing, I apologize, I'll try to give you as much information as I can. I'm having what I think might be an overheating issue with my CPU, and I'm wondering if it's damaged, not cooled well enough, or what. I've found it hard to get a solid answer on what it should and should not be running at.

I built this machine about 2 years ago, so it's all slightly outdated hardware. I use it primarily for gaming and I have not noticed any issues in peformance before or after, although I don't have any way to test fps.

My current build specs are as follows:

CPU-Socket 478 P4 Prescott 3.20ghz
    Motherboard - Abit's IC7-G Max II Advance
    Heatsink - Thermalright's XP90 in Aluminum
    OS - WINXP PRO SP2 with all current updates
    Memory - 512x2 PC3200 Dual Channel DDR by Corsair
    Case - Thermaltake's Armor
    CDRW drive by Plextor
    Hardrives - 250gig by Maxtor, 60 gig by Maxtor
    DVDRW drive by NEC
    PSU - Thermaltake's 550w ATX
    Video Card - BFG's Geforce 6800GT w/2 fans, not the one fan model

I've applied a healthy layer of Arctic Silver thermalpaste to the heatsink/CPU, not over doing it of course, and I keep my case very clean. I also have all the latest drivers and firmware for my hardware.

As far as case cooling goes, I'm running a mess of fans. I've got a 120mm fan mounted onto the top of the heatsink, blowing down. I've got another 120mm fan mounted on the top of the case, serving as an exhaust port. There's another 120mm fan in the front of the case (if any of you are not familiar with the Armor line of cases, they have a mesh front, and mounting brackets for intake/outake 120mm fans) which is pulling air in. In the back of the case, for exhaust,I have a Panaflo 120mm H1A, which is pulling out massive air. All in all, that's 4 120mm fans. The cables are all tied down, creating good air flow, etc.

I never used to have an issue with heating/cooling, but recently with warm weather I've noticed a major spike in my temps.

When idling, my CPU used to run about 35-39C. Now, I'm idling at about 45-49C. Under load, my old temps would hit 50-55 at the most, and now I'm hitting 63-65 without a blink. I've re-applied thermal paste a few times, cleaned my heatsink, case, etc.

I run Abit EQ to check voltage and temps. My voltage is always normal and I've been logging it for a few weeks now without any major changes. My CPU temp on the other hand is what's getting me. ABIT EQ's default temperature warning level is 85 which I know is too high.

Please help me, I need to know if I'm running to hot, and if I am, what the problem might be. I've heard that Prescotts can run hot, but what's to hot? At what point will it start to take damage and, in warmer weather ( 70-80F) is it normal for it to run that hot under load? I've attached links of ABITEQ under load and idling. ABITEQ registers that I have no fan RPM for two fans but that's because I don't have them hooked up to my monitor, only the power.

Thanks - Lumpy

h**p://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n91/lumpyguitar/idle.jpg
    h**p://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n91/lumpyguitar/load.jpg
  3. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Over heating.

I see that you have go a few fans in your case, i all ways say to people one good strong fan on the cpu will be fine.....

Does the Cpu run a 100% in windows you may want to check that out and get back to us...........

You may want to put a new fan on the cpu

All ways make sure the inside of the case is clean and there is no dust in it, make sure that the case is in the open because they can get warm in inclosed areas.........

Never use thermalpaste its more ideal just to replace the fan
  5. Green-River-Media.com
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

"Never use thermalpaste its more ideal just to replace the fan"????
    ummm you HAVE to use thermal paste, no questions about it, how are you going to put your heatsink on your processor with no thermal paste?
    Web Developer
    Green-River-Media.com
  7. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

you use it and try and send the processor back it makes the warrenty void...........

I am not saying do not use it but there are other ways around it

Processor companys recommend using phase change material with the heatsink/fan. No thermal paste is recommended

If you are only going to change a cpu onces or on a first build then use a Thermal pad there are designed for a long term period.....

Thermal Paste
    Yes it does what it says but its more for testing not for long term because it does not last as well in my eyes, if you are going to use the paste go for a silicon based paste

I would all so like to add the a copper based fan are all ways a good fan to pick.............

This is a strong point with people and it will go on for years which is the best to use the paste or pads, when i said replace the fan i was meaning do that because alot of fans have the pads on............

I am not a big fan of the paste but thats in my eyes like i say alot of people are different.

Comments on this post

• SamLavitt disagrees : Research before you post!
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing (ab{normal})User

thermal paste voids the warenty???????????

Processor companies reconned using phase change????? (do you even know what phase change *IS*? it requires power input, and phase change materials/devices need conductive interfaces themselves, and phase-change cooling is usually frowned upon by CPU companies, due to the risk of damage from condenstation)

Wow, then why are most high end CPU coolers shipped w/o pads, but with paste? even for medium and low end?

I'm not going to argue pads vs. paste, there are benefits and problems with both, but paste is a very well accepted material for ensuring conductivity between HS/F and CPU die. And pastes also are designed around the idea of long term usage, just as pads are, the difference is pads are designed to be single-application, while paste is removable and when you do so, you must either re-apply the paste, or make sure that you still have an adaquate coating on the die whenthe HSF is reconnected, as it is more prone to sliding around (it is a gelatenous material after all, but settles quite well and has more then enough surface tension that it'll last probably ten years of constant usage, despite vibration from the fan)
  11. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

no, they do void the warranty, they check for the high end stuff like Arctic silver, if its on the CPU they assume you used it because you overclocked the CPU, and overclocking does void the warranty, its one of the methods they use to check for overclocking, they basically ban it saying its too good for the average user and using it is proof that your doing stuff you shouldn't be doing

but the arctic silver is just great, you should use it, and most people don't check for it (if its newegg you just return it and they believe you), they don't void it unless they see physical damage

as for thermal paste in general, just use Arctic Silver, its better at everything, short and long term, and it is made of materials that just work better (and nothing out there degrades over time, the common materials are carbon [the pads], silicone [the white paste], and silver [the high end stuff], all those are stable), there is a chance that you will void your warranty, but if it runs the first time you install it then the CPU is good, your not going to return it, if it does not work then you return it to the store and they don't check those type of things, if you try returning to AMD/Intel they might try that, but i don't think they really accept returns anyways and CPUs just don't fail often if they have been working for a while
  13. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Personal View (Thermal Paste & Pads)

And like i said the subject between two products will go on for years........

Yes using the paste makes the CPU void, this is a main reason why i do not use the paste but yea in this day and age cpu's are getting more hotter so yea the paste works well on them.

I do not want to be classed as a spamer to the devshed forum for my personal view on the subject and that's all it is just a personal view...............
    Because all in all that's what a forum is for so people cast there views on subject and give help in anyway possible..

So please please please keeping using both products and hey guys use what ever you think does the job because only you no if your computers not running how it should be.......

I hope from me posting this will clear up my view on the subject and i hope i can cast my views and give my support to members in the future months on devshed..........

Cheers guys

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo