Results: What do you prefer? Liquid or Fans? 

Voters
12 You may not vote on this poll

• Liquid Cooling system. Go with the new millenium hardware.
    50.00%
  • Fan cooling system, originals always win!
    50.00%
  1. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

What do you prefer? Liquid...Fans

Ok its what the name says. What do you prefer Liquid Cooling systems for the fact they are quiet, or Regular old Fans? I think my vote leans to Fans, becuase if you got a LCS and it broke or something happened, there goes your computer. Fried! And some fans although noisy, you can get some quiet ones. Well vote and post your thoughts here!
  3. No Profile Picture

I think that Water cooling is the way forward... it keeps temps very very low, and its silent. I have a fan one at the moment, one of the best ones out there.. and its f*cking noisy at 5500 RPM!
  5. au courant

Going with fans also. They're much cheaper, easier to install, and less hazardous to equipment. Although they don't cool as much, I'd much rather spend $10 on 20 fans than hundreds on a fragile armed bomb.

Comments on this post

• midfielder100 agrees : Liquid cooling is expensive and risky. Love the "fragile armed bomb" comment.
  7. Master PIMP
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I've got liquid and I know someone whos computer store that has a Mach II (-20 degress celcius and $1200 pricetag, just for cooling). Hes got a 2.4 p4 running at 3.7! Anyways, point of that is that non-mainstream cooling is not for the faint hearted. For the average user who is not overclocking, air cooling and a good heatsink will keep their cpu cool. Even people with the tiny stock intel fans will get by (with a totaster oven none the less).

I would only suggest liquid cooling to overclockers or super stability buffs. I know a guy who runs a small server farm in which he claims to have 100% uptime because of the liquid/peltier cooling he uses.

Liquid cooling is much more effective but at a price. It needs to be installed properly or else the comps at risk. It must be maintained properly. With a fan, as long as it's on straight, it will do fine. Only thing needed is the occasional vaccum every few years.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I went liquid a few years ago, since my old SCSI system was insanely loud because of how hot it got. I had later replaced it with a laptop, loved how quiet it was and when it got too slow (400mhz) I wanted to treat myself to a quiet system. I'm happy with my koolance, although I don't overclock. Its pretty quiet, with only the top fans making some noise.

Actually, I just upgraded and have a stock AMD cpu fan and a 6600gt. I didn't feel like buying new coolers (bit too lazy, its $100 too), but am somewhat regretting it. Its a bit annoying, although likely its mostly the junk HSF.

All the myths about LCS being hazardious are wrong, if you use a good setup. Koolance has redundant pumps, temp warning, and doesn't leak. Plus, it lasts a few generations. I doubt I'd go again with LCS, probably just buy better HSFs since I have no interest in overclocking.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo