1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Re-apply thermal paste?

I bought this custom HSF for my 3.0ghz northwood processor. I didn't know how much of the thermal paste to apply so i just put a small BB size blob on the CPU die and clamped the heatsink onto there (although now that i read the guide it says to smooth out the paste so its thin like paper across the CPU). this is working but i noticed that the first few days that i was able to achieve 41C idle and only up to 50C under load, but now after friday im idling at around 48C and under load up to 55C. should i re-apply the paste? how should i clean off the existing thermal paste?
    John5788
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I had a real good procedure for that when I applied mine. I'm working from memory now. Check the Arctic paste website for instructions but here goes what I remember:

Use the high purity isopropyl alcohol (90%) or that adhesive or graffiti remover Goop which is a xylene based solvent to clean off the old paste from both the CPU and the heatsink. Then use paste the size of a grain of rice and smooth it out with a small sharp knife on the CPU like your buttering a piece of toast real even and smooth.
  5. Contributing User

im not using arctic silver paste. im using the one from the custom HSF, it comes with its own paste
    John5788
  7. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

You should, its the best. But the same directions apply for cleaning and re-applying the paste. You should smooth it out first, then set the heat sink on the paste-covered cpu. Pick the heatsink up and see what areas have paste sticking to them, add a little to the areas that are still bare. Then firmly attach the heatsink. Give it at least a day of running time to burn in the paste before getting numbers for comparison.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  9. Second highest poster :p
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Hey John5788, you should put your CPU and heatsink into the dishwasher. That will clean the paste off nicely and make it shine like new.

ps. I will not be held liable if you decide to follow this advice and screw up your CPU
    - Andreas Koepke

Koepke Photography

11. Contributing User

i should have u know.. but i went ahead and cleaned it off with 91% rubbing alkeyhol. i was thinking of licking that stuff off, it was all gooey and white and very tempting..

ill put that stuff in the dishwasher next time, thx for informing me bud ur the best.
    John5788

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo