1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Safe to allow processor fan to run at full speed?

Hi there, I just joined.

Alright, my MB is DG102GGC2, P 4 3.0 Ghz, 2 GB DDR2 RAM. I've kept the CPU case open, and I can see two fans: one is the power unit, the other is the fan over the processor.

Generally, the processor fan hovers at around 2000 to 2300 rpm with the temperature being about 51 C. This is what SpeedFan shows right now:

Fan1 : 2024 RPM
    Fan 2, 3, 4: 0 RPM

CPU : 51C
    Ambient: 51C
    Remote: 63C
    HD0: 45C (80 GB one, running XP)
    HD1: 45C (1 TB one, used for storage)

There's also a lot of voltages written at the bottom, tell me if posting that is needed.

Anyway, what happens is that at times the processor fan speeds up, to something like 3950 RPM. This happens generally when I start a game, and not even a shooter, even an arcade game can trigger it; it also happens when I have too many Facebook tabs open. Usually the processor fan speeds up and then slows down in a few seconds, but sometimes it doesn't slow down at all, it continues at high speed (I don't know whats the highest speed its capable of) for minutes on end, so I either have to put the computer on standby for a few minutes or stop using it altogether. The temperature at this point rises by three to four degrees.

What I want to know is, is it safe to keep on using the computer for an hour even after the fan has speeded up and is making a lot of noise? There are threads on the forum where people have complained of 70 C temperatures, mine never reaches that high, though if the hard disk reaches 50 C, I always put the computer on standby and let them cool off for a while.

I don't know much about hardware. I've heard about thermal paste and stuff but I don't know how to apply it, and would rather not do it myself since I might end up breaking something. I tried removing the fan once to clear the dust but couldn't get it out, it had some sort of locking mechanism.

Thanks.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by HydraH

Anyway, what happens is that at times the processor fan speeds up, to something like 3950 RPM. This happens generally when I start a game, and not even a shooter, even an arcade game can trigger it; it also happens when I have too many Facebook tabs open. Usually the processor fan speeds up and then slows down in a few seconds, but sometimes it doesn't slow down at all, it continues at high speed (I don't know whats the highest speed its capable of) for minutes on end, so I either have to put the computer on standby for a few minutes or stop using it altogether. The temperature at this point rises by three to four degrees.
    When the processor starts experiencing any load, the temperature increases. Your fan is merely compensating by increasing its speed to try and keep temperatures from climbing too much.

What I want to know is, is it safe to keep on using the computer for an hour even after the fan has speeded up and is making a lot of noise?
    You should be fine letting the fan run at higher speeds on its own unless there are other cooling issues. Leave SpeedFan running while you do things and periodically check the temperatures if you're that concerned. If it climbs above safe temperatures, then you'll want to look at what can be done to fix it.

though if the hard disk reaches 50 C, I always put the computer on standby and let them cool off for a while.
    Honestly, this seems a bit paranoid. Seagate, for example, has documentation recommending not letting your HDD get above 60C. Normal operating temperatures are can vary from 5-50C. This is pretty close to the norm, and S.M.A.R.T, if enabled, will typically have a shutdown warning before that max temperature anyways.

I don't know much about hardware. I've heard about thermal paste and stuff but I don't know how to apply it, and would rather not do it myself since I might end up breaking something. I tried removing the fan once to clear the dust but couldn't get it out, it had some sort of locking mechanism.
    Thermal paste isn't difficult to apply, but you're not likely to see more than a few *c temperature drop unless the current paste has been poorly applied.

If you have just a fan on your PSU and one on your CPU, you're likely to get better results by putting a case fan or two in to allow proper airflow. And before you ask, no, merely leaving the case panel off is not proper airflow. ;-)

Comments on this post

• crownjewel82 agrees
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I am being too careful of the hard disk. Actually its just that my hard disk is of the series 7200.11, and though I did check the firmware and there didn't seem to be any need to change it, I was worried for quite some time that one day I would start the computer to find the 1 TB one had gone dead.

Originally Posted by Beleaguered
    And before you ask, no, merely leaving the case panel off is not proper airflow. ;-)
    Yeah, I was going to ask that. Will get new fans now.

Thanks again.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo