1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Update Bios

Here is the update version that cured my over heating Zone 2.

Intel Corporation's update for D865PERL mother board
    RL86510A.86A.0085.P19.EB

Don't forget I also have a blower pointed directly at Zone 2, which by the way is not anywhere near the Ram banks on a D865PERL. You can attach a blower if you need it after the update to the bottom of your power supply and affect this area very nicely.

My temps are in the low to middle 40's under load and idle at 29 degrees for Zone 2. The sensor has not tripped at 50 degrees since the fix. I think this does it for me now, time to heat it up with Doom 3... good luck!
  3. No Profile Picture

Cool Update Bios

RL86510A.86A.0085.P19.EB

Don't forget I also have a blower pointed directly at Zone 2, which by the way is not anywhere near the Ram banks on a D865PERL. You can attach a blower if you need it after the update to the bottom of your power supply and affect this area very nicely.

My temps are in the low to middle 40's under load and idle at 29 degrees for Zone 2. The sensor has not tripped at 50 degrees since the fix. I think this does it for me now, time to heat it up with Doom 3... good luck!
  5. No Profile Picture

RL86510A.86A.0085.P19.EB

7. No Profile Picture

Cool Zone 2 temps

D865PERL mother board Zone 2 temperature problems are fixable with Intel Corp's update bios version;
    RL86510A.86A.0085.P19.EB
    See the Intel website for your boards update
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by D865P's hotfix
    D865PERL mother board Zone 2 temperature problems are fixable with Intel Corp's update bios version;
    RL86510A.86A.0085.P19.EB
    See the Intel website for your boards update
    I updated yesterday with this BIOS and didn't notice any difference... I also updated AM (Active Monitor).
  11. No Profile Picture

Puh, I'm not alone;-)

My box:
    Intel board D865PERL rev. C26719-214
    Intel P4 3.0E GHz 478 1MB (using Intel box-supplied CPU-fan)
    2x512 DDR 400 (Kingston KVR400X64C3AK2/1G)
    120GB IBM DeskStar (ATA)
    Hyp-Thr enabled

Case:
    Antec Sonata with extra 120mm front fan

PSU:
    Antec TruePower 380W

System idle:
    CPU: ~42 cel
    SZ1: ~30 cel
    SZ2: ~35 cel

System on load
    CPU: ~55-60 cel
    SZ1: ~38-42 cel
    SZ2: >50 cel

When my AM (Active Monitor) start to alert me, I stop the StressTest (using Prime95 http://www.mersenne.org/prime.htm) since SZ2 not seem to drop...

Will try to mount an extra 80x80-fan tonight and see what happens when pointed on SZ2. SZ2 is somewhere between the CPU and I/O's.

Have you guys ever thought that the temps on the PERL are actually OK? I mean that the AM threashold (spelling) might be @ 50 by default for _all_ installations and might need to be tuned for your specific board (in our case PERL)? It could be that 50-55 cel is actually normal for this board under heavy load...I doubt, but it could...if you get my point.

/Fred
  13. No Profile Picture

I just built almost the same system as other posters and was having the same system 2 overheating alarms.

Intel 3E GHz HT CPU
    Intel D865Perlx motherboard
    1 GB Crucial RAM
    LiteOn Enclosure HT761S with air duct for P4 3 G and above.
    2 case fans
    Intel CPU fan & thermal pad
    Version 19 bios upgraded 1 week ago

I couldn"t play a game for more than 3 minutes without the alarm going off. I would start to scroll through thumbnails of pictures and in about one minute the alarm would go off.

I downloaded the latest version of the Active Monitor software from Intel. You have to uninstall the old version first. There was also a patch to apply before uninstalling the old version. I read on of the links to Intel provided above and following their advice raised the sensor thresholds for Zone2 5 degrees C. It said you could raise it 10 degrees but I thought I would try less.

After this I could play games as long as I wanted. Of course the fans got really loud. I tried opening Digital Image Pro and scrolling through thumbnails of pictures and I could go as fast as I wanted. I opened Digital Image Library at the same time.It has pages of thumbnails and I scrolled though those at the same time. No alarms. I opened a project in Photo Fusion. I kept all of that open and printed two spreadsheets from Excel. Email was open. What a difference!! Was this a software problem with Active Monitor?

In case this is not enough, I would like to know where to purchase a blower. What is the brandname? I cound not find anything that said it mounted on the power supply.
  15. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up Zone 2 overheating - Intel BIOs update - FIXED!

D865P,

Thank you for the input regarding this fix. I built my own system (and we all know how much time and effort this takes!)... only to have the temp 2 zone go over 50 degree's C. One update of the BIOs and it's reporting lower temps in zone 2 AND 1.

Now I can move on with the software installations.

Here are the specs on my system:

CPU P4/3.4 GHz 800M LGA775 550
    HD 74GB|WD 10,000RPM 8MB WD740GD
    DVD+/-RW PLEXTOR|PX-712SA/SW
    MOBO LGA775 INTEL 925XE D925XEBC2LK R
    RAM GEIL DUAL 240P 2G(1Gx2) DDR2 533 R
    HD 300GB|MAXTOR 6B300S0 SATA
    Silentium T1 case

It's built for video work and to be QUIET.

I guess updating the BIOs first and formost continues to be important.

-Boogielou

Originally Posted by D865P's hotfix
    I do not claim to be a pro, however the problem of over heating Zone 2 on an Intel D865Perl lead me right to this forum for answers. I found no help here but I have fixed this issue and temperatures are operating within active monitor default settings under all of my big games displayed in highest settings... Doom 3 was built for future technology and will not run under its highest setting yet. So don't fight it, just use the (high) configuations. Here are my simple stats;

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
    Intel P4, socket 478, 865PERL
    CPU Penitum 4, 3.0GHz, 800 Mhz
    RAM DDR 400, 1024MB PC3200 (adding ram did not fix anything)
    120GB Harddrive, 400 Watt power supply
    (on or off, heat generating lighting accessories and big fans pulling in or out, had little effect on Zone 2's eventual over heating)

Over heating Zone 2 did not stop until I updated the bios for the 865PERL board from the Intel website (one click, automated and very easy to do). I also pointed a medium size blower directly on the Zone 2 area just for good measure. I am not sure which thing fixed the over heating warnings from but this is very simple stuff fellows and it surprized me to acheive this after reading all the complaints in this forum.

If you do not know where Zone 2 is on your 865P's please read more about it here...
    http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-012552.htm

Good luck and good gaming Dudes!
  17. No Profile Picture

Intel mobo zone 2 heat blues - continued - BIOs update no good

Hi,

I did the bios update and it didn't indicate a zone 2 heat jump for a while. Then it came back.

I've emailed intel support (email only) and will see what they have to say. With 5 fans in this new build system and NO WAY that this 'zone' is in fact overheating - it is clear to me that Intel may have a problem here - and what a hassle for the end user!!!!!!!!!!

I perhaps should have just went with another brand name for the mobo, like maybe ASUS.

my system:

CPU P4/3.4 GHz 800M LGA775 550
    HD 74GB|WD 10,000RPM 8MB WD740GD
    DVD+/-RW PLEXTOR|PX-712SA/SW
    MOBO LGA775 INTEL 925XE D925XEBC2LK R
    RAM GEIL DUAL 240P 2G(1Gx2) DDR2 533 R
    HD 300GB|MAXTOR 6B300S0 SATA
    Silentium T1 case

I'll keep reading and maybe we can find a solution. I'm not looking forward to a return and rebuild!

I tried 2 other 'heat monitoring' software packages with nill for results.

-B
  19. No Profile Picture

Zone 2 mobo image of location

Originally Posted by dhiraj969
    Hi there
    The system zone 2 is the zone where RAM is installed.i.e.
    the dimmslots.
    system zone 1 is the zone near the processor zone.
    You can increase it to any value,since these values are
    approximate,if god forbid system overheats then it will be
    shutdown automatically.
    Zone 2 in not necessarily where the RAM is - it varies - you'll want to take a peek at the page related to that. For example with Intel mobo's see here, and go down the page to find your model. Mine shows zone 2 to the rear near the processor but closer to the keyboard plugin unit.

http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-012552.htm

Shows some of the boards.

Does this crap ever happen with ASUS or MSI?

-B
  21. No Profile Picture

I was having the same problem with overheating in zone 2. Zone 2 is not the RAM temp. It is the processor voltage regulator area.
    P4 3.0 GHz
    D865PERL Motherboard
    2 GB RAM
    160 & 80 Gig HDDs
    nVidia 6600 GT Graphics Card

I installed a liquid cooling unit to cut down on the noise because the P4s run extremely hot. Everything was fine except for Zone 2. After about a week of trying to figure out where the board was reading this temp, I finally figured it out. The sensor is just above the voltage regulator fan plug. I installed a 80mm fan inside the case pointing directly at the voltage regulator area (just to the left of the processor) and it's running at a cool 32c. Give it a try. I guarantee it will work.
  23. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by paraiso36
    Good Day,

After searching in the Web for info about this problem I have read your posts and let me share me experience,

My System is as follows,

CPU INTEL 3.2 GHZ P 4
    Motherboard Intel 865 Perl
    1 GB Ram DUAL CHANNEL Kingston Memory
    1 CDRW DRIVE
    1 DVDRW Drive
    1 DVD ROM DRIVE
    1 Maxtor HDD 40 GB
    1 Seagate SATA 160 GB HDD
    SB AUDIGY
    ATI RADEON 9800 Pro Video Card
    Demon Dual Fan 580 Watts Power Supply

My cooling solutions besides the demon dual fan power supply are one Thermaltake cooling system which consists in one rear blower extractor and one front fast and noisy fan. There is also another fan in the acrylic panel of the case, and finally a three in line fans for my SATA HDD installed below it.

All the mentioned solutions have appeared due to my great anger with the zone 2 alarm of the motherboard. I started with two fans and now I am with the configuration mentioned but with no success. I start a game and the alarm begins to sound. Sometimes also bothers the Processor Alarm but this is more strange due to the fact I dont notice any performance decrease. I know you can always turn the active monitor off but I am afraid that maybe I am killing my PC and the alarms are right. The same happened to me with my old Intel MB MD850.
    Two facts may cause the problem...My case is a generic one...I mean it is a large and tall case with lot of ventilation but it isnít a Thermaltake with all its Thermal Certifications. I really donít know if having a good Thermaltake case would solve the problem. The other fact is that my room is a small one with a thick floor carpet and the PC is standing in a corner of the room. With two walls behind may be there isnít any room for the air to flow.
    Although I believe the two facts mentioned above may have some importance in the temperature impact, with all the cooling systems I have inside my case I really think this should be enough ( really I donít know what else to add ). I have also kept the case opened and even my windows full open and the result is the same even only viewing a DVD movie.
    One more thing. Keeping my PC idle, I mean without running any application I have loaded the active monitor and have been watching for nearly half an hour the temperature readings. I noticed something important that I would appreciate if anyone can confirm. I can assure that my problem isnít a temperature one, because the threshold isnít constantly passed. I mean, what triggers the alarms isnít a constant 60ļ ( for example) temperature reading in Zone 2. It is rather constant fluctuations in the readings. I have seen in this half an hour of observation variations of temperature reading from 32ļC ( sorry I cannot remember the conversion to ļF ) to 48, or even 52 ļC in less than 2 seconds and from Zone 1, Zone 2, etc. So the alarms triggers by this variations and not by a constant high temperature. I also have played a heave 3D game, and after 15 minutes of alarms sounding I have minimized the game and loaded the active monitor to see all temperature readings higher than in idle PC mode ( thatís obvious ) but the same strange and great instantly reading variations from 50ļC to 80 ļC in less than 2 seconds. My knowledge in thermodynamics tells me that it isnít likely for a system to have more than 10 ļC of variations in so little time. So I think the problem is in the readings not in the temperature itself. Can someone check this?
    I have tried BIOS and Active Monitor upgrades without success. I have also reinstalled Windows XPÖSo I really donít know what to do. I donít want to spend more money if the problem cannot be solved and since my only other step is buying an expensive Thermaltake Case, I will feel cheated if after buying it the same alarms began to sound. Also I have thought about an independent panel to read temperature with probes in all my important hardware gadgets. But that panel in my country cost half the price of a Thermaltake Case, so maybe it is better to buy the case right away. But the panel may give correct reading. Have anyone checked temperature readings with panels like the Hardcano from Thermaltake or the AeroGate from Coolermaster?. This would be an useful information to post. Well..really donít know what to doÖ.Any suggestion?...Intel hasnít answered my email in which I asked the same things you read in my postÖWell thanks for your time.
    I was having the same problem with overheating in zone 2. Zone 2 is not the RAM temp. It is the processor voltage regulator area.
    P4 3.0 GHz
    D865PERL Motherboard
    2 GB RAM
    160 & 80 Gig HDDs
    nVidia 6600 GT Graphics Card

I installed a liquid cooling unit to cut down on the noise because the P4s run extremely hot. Everything was fine except for Zone 2. After about a week of trying to figure out where the board was reading this temp, I finally figured it out. The sensor is just above the voltage regulator fan plug. I installed a 80mm fan inside the case pointing directly at the voltage regulator area (just to the left of the processor) and it's running at a cool 32c. Give it a try. I guarantee it will work.
  25. Warning: I can't read

unless your temps are really really high, it won't really affect anything.
  27. No Profile Picture

Help!

Like many of you folks, i have a very similar system (that i also built myself) to those described here, and the same problem as well:

- 865Perl board
    - PIV 2.8Ghz-800, HT
    - 1024 DDR-400
    - 9600 256MB ATI Radeon

System 2 alerts, specially during graphics heavy load is the problem. I have read every single post, and have a question:

** I dont really know much about fans configuration. Terms like "blower fan", "intake" and "outake" really confused me. All i know is that i recently changed my power supply fan myself, and that i 1st mounted it in a way that it was sucking the air from the outside to the inside of the PC (like if i put my hand behind the system, i wont feel any air going out, but if i drop a small paper behind it, it would be attracted and stick to the power supply fan). The system was heating, so i inverted this fan so it would blow the air out of the PC, and the heating stopped. Then i changed my old graphics card (ATI all in wonder 32 MB) to the 9600/256MB/Radeon, and the system 2 zone temp would hit 50 and above all the time during game playing and movie/graphics load (and in some other rare cases). I bought a new case fan and mounted it towards zone 2 of the 865Perl, meaning under the power supply, but i am not sure if the air should be pointed out, or towards the system. Neither am i sure about the power supply fan pointing, so anyone can help??? What are the fans setup options, and what is "blower", "intake" and "outake"???
    PLEASE HEEEEELP MEEEEEE !!!!!!

Many thanks people .
  29. No Profile Picture

I wouldnt worry about this too much, it isnt really a problem, just more of an annoyance, Unfortunatly intel decided it would be clever to stick zone2's sensor right next to where your normal intel fan pumps out its hot air. So everytime your cpu temp jumps (games etc) it'll be sending zone2 temps up with it, and setting off your case fans/alarms.

You will probably see this happen more (i did) if you have removed the crappy thermal pad and used decent compound on the cpu cooler. As it turns out, the lower you get cpu temps, the higher zone2 will go because itll be passing hotter air over it.

I used a small chipset fan and put it just under the power pack facing down, i wouldnt suggest using anything larger than a chipset fan because it will mess up the rotation of the cpu cooler. I only did this because of the noise the case fans made when zone2 went up, because 40/50 degrees is no danger to ur motherboard

Mikey (uk)
    Intel P4 3Ghz , 1gig ddr400
    Nvidia geforce 6800 GT 256MBgDDR3

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo