1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Venting heat to the outside world?

I just moved into a new apartment. My room is 10x13 feet. It's small. At the moment, I have a laptop (custom-built AMD64, early model, runs *very* hot - already burned out 2 processors) and two older desktops running. With just these three systems, the room is unbearably hot during the day, and I have to open all 3 windows at night.

This is a bit of a problem, being that I have two older proliant servers - a 3000 and a 6000, each with three 500W PS's ans 2-4 processors - which I'd like to get running.

So... any thoughts on cooling? Cranking up the central air isn't an option, and a window-unit A/C isn't a wonderful option either, as winter will be here soon (I'm in NJ, so it does get cold) and I don't want to be baking from Nov-March.

I was thinking of setting up the machines near the windows, adding some additional fans, and hooking up ducting through panels in the windows that would draw air in from outside and then vent it back outside. Any thoughts? It would probably look a bit weird, but it might solve my heat issues...

Thanks,
    Jason
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by jantman
    I just moved into a new apartment. My room is 10x13 feet. It's small. At the moment, I have a laptop (custom-built AMD64, early model, runs *very* hot - already burned out 2 processors) and two older desktops running. With just these three systems, the room is unbearably hot during the day, and I have to open all 3 windows at night.

This is a bit of a problem, being that I have two older proliant servers - a 3000 and a 6000, each with three 500W PS's ans 2-4 processors - which I'd like to get running.

So... any thoughts on cooling? Cranking up the central air isn't an option, and a window-unit A/C isn't a wonderful option either, as winter will be here soon (I'm in NJ, so it does get cold) and I don't want to be baking from Nov-March.

I was thinking of setting up the machines near the windows, adding some additional fans, and hooking up ducting through panels in the windows that would draw air in from outside and then vent it back outside. Any thoughts? It would probably look a bit weird, but it might solve my heat issues...

Thanks,
    Jason

Have you tried water cooling the tower boxes to keep them from getting so hot ???? and a fan matt for the lappy ????

other than that mate the airconditioner is probably the only other option but i would like some one to prove me wrong for your sake

good luck with your problem mate

SETKEH

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo