1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

any wrong with my CPU?

Hi there everyone
    i bought my PC for 1year more.
    for this few days,i had switched on my pc for abt 18hours each day.
    so,yesterday night,i heard some sound from my CPU.it sounds like the sound like modem dialling..like "kek...kek....kek...."
    but then,my pc is still working fine.
    so,i thought mayb i'd switched on it for long time...so i turned it off and leave it for 7 hours.
    but just now when i swithed on the pc,the sound came again.but still,there's no problem when i'm running the programmes...
    so,is there anyone who knows what's the problem is it?how to solve this problem?
    thanx
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

That's not a cpu sound. If it's a clicking sound, it could be your hard drive dying. Bad news. Maybe a fan is broken and making noise. That would be good news. Probably is the hard drive so back up anything you want saved and run a diagnostic program from your hard drive manufacturer's website. If the noise was coming from a fan it would have a faster frequency.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Lennynj99
    That's not a cpu sound. If it's a clicking sound, it could be your hard drive dying. Bad news. Maybe a fan is broken and making noise. That would be good news. Probably is the hard drive so back up anything you want saved and run a diagnostic program from your hard drive manufacturer's website. If the noise was coming from a fan it would have a faster frequency.
    Dear friend,juz now in the evening,i saw some sentence abt virus on 1 website tat i'd opened,but it is definitely not any website mentioning abt virus.
    so,i think it might be a new virus that can cause my CPU making "clicking" sound....like modem dialing,but only the first few click is familiar.....
    but then,i hv rebooted my pc,now no more clicking.so,i'm not sure whether is it my hard drive dying,or is it the nasty virus?can anyone tells me?
    thanks..
  7. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Let's get our terms right: the CPU is the actual chip about 2" x 2" square that sits on the motherboard in its socket and under the heat sink/fan. It does not generate sound. If it did, chances are your computer would behave all manner of strange. The box in which all the parts are housed is the case. The case, stuffed with all its necessary parts can be referred to as the System Unit, or just call it: the computer ...

Also, it is probably not a virus. Viruses normally aren't smart enough to attack hardware.

What it likely is might be: warning clicks (which might be actually a muffled beep) from your motherboard. Or it might actually be an internal modem (which could be controlled by a virus) if you have one or it could actually be something as benign as a loose wire clipping a fan bouncing around for a while then coming back down, clipping the fan, etc. ad nauseum.

Hey, I just said what was stated above! I think it is time to stop asking us, since we cannot hear the sound, and recruit a friend/coworker/relative who knows a good deal about computer hardware to examine your PC for you.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

a good idea is to check all fans when the computer is on.just turn it on it's side or something and watch the fans...wouldn't be surprised if it was a fan going out.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo