1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question P4 3.0Ghz Prescott high temperature

I've assembled a PC with P4 3.0E (Prescott) on a D865PERL. I'm using Intel's default heatsink and fan that came with the CPU.

At rest Intel Active monitor reports the following:
    Processor Zone: ~50C
    System Zone 1: ~35C
    System Zone 2: ~40C
    System Fan 1: ~2500RPM

When I start loading the CPU with applications or games the numbers instantly goes up to:
    Processor Zone: ~80C
    System Zone 1: remains at ~35C
    System Zone 2: ~55C
    System Fan 1: remains in the ~2500-3000RPM range

I find this very strange. The CPU temperature goes very high (the recommended temperature in my CPU's datasheet is 68C) and Active Monitor starts popping up temperature alerts, but I don't see the System Fan increasing its speed much to cool down the CPU.

I'm a little bit confused. Isn't the CPU too hot? So why then the fan doesn't increase its motor speed?

What should I do????
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I think it's a one speed fan. Is it supposed to increase the RPM based on temperature? Some aftermarket fans do that but not all. I've never heard of OEM fans being thermostat controlled but I'm not up to date with the latest CPUs.

That sounds too hot. Do you have a case fan to exhaust the hot air? Look at your CPU and see where the CPU fan is exhausting the hot CPU air. If the hot CPU air is trapped around the CPU, the temps are going to be high. Take the cover off the case and blow a room fan at it. If that reduces your temps, then it's your case. If the temps are still high, then it's your HSF.
  5. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Check that the heatsink/fan is installed correctly, with good contact on the cpu. As lenny said, also check airflow through the case. You might want to consider an aftermarket heatsink for better cooling, Prescotts can run a bit warm.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

if you go for aftermarket cooling make sure to get some good thermal paste.i also reccomend the thermaltake volcano +7 (i went from 50c to 29c. and under load the computer goes up to about 35c-41c at the most) there are also alot of other good aftermarket fans. search google for some reviews on some.

p.s. i'm not 100% sure if this heatsink/fan are compatible with your motherboard.
  9. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

The thermaltake volcanos are compatible witn athlon xp and pentium III. For P4 you want teh spark 7, pipe101, or tower 112.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  11. No Profile Picture

Your motherboard BIOS my need to be updated to the latest revision and the new Intel Desktop control Center software(a better app than Intel's Active Monitor)..I had exactly the same problem with my D865PERL motherboard thermal temps.

Also change the stock heatsink and fan with a better aftermarket item such as the Zalman super flower design model(BUT DON'T BE FOOLED INTO FITTING THE ALL COPPER ONE AS IT IS TOO HEAVY FOR THE MOTHERBOARD TO SUPPORT AND YOU ARE LIABLE TO DAMAGE YOUR SYSTEM) and get hold of some better thermal paste like artic silver 5.

The system Zones are way to high and are at their limits under load and i would suggest better internal cable management to get more air circulation inside the case.

As an indication my system is:
    P4 2.8A GHz PRESCOTT(1meg cache)
    Intel D865PERL Motherboard
    1 gig 2700 333MHz ram
    2 X 120gig SATA drives

Current Temps:
    CPU idle 34c Zone 1 :24c Zone 2 26c

Under load CPU 48c Zone 1 31c Zone 2 35c

Hope this helps
  13. No Profile Picture

nonono, i have one accept 3.8ghz u definatly want a AeroCool HT-101, mine idles at 39C around 50C under load
  15. No Profile Picture

P4 3.0e Ht

my p4 3.0ghz with ht, i think its a lil overheating
    whats the normal heat the cpu temp has to be
    mines like around 59-63c -cpu temp and system temp is at 35c is that normal or to high
  17. No Profile Picture

Common problem

Generally people complain of System Zone 2being the warmer of the lot. I did too till I added heat sink paste, and reversed my fan to have a intake. Now my cpu zone goes up.

I am going to buy another fan tomorrow to keep right above the cpu.. lets hope this works. then maybe i can play around with them instead of trying to do something with the heat sink. would be great if intel had used some brains and realised people may want to do some real computing on it instead of just leaving it idle
  19. No Profile Picture

Intel Suggestions

According to Intel: the default for CPU zone should 75
    Effectively:
    Zone Celsius Fahrenheit
    Processor 75 Degrees 167 Degrees
    Zone 1 50 Degrees 122 Degrees
    Zone 2 50 Degrees 122 Degrees

Intel is aware of the problem, and this is the only resource they have provided

However, when I install Active monitor ( the version from the CD ) The default is 68C

Does anyone suggest just changing it to 75? and calling it a day? or any other suggestions?
  21. No Profile Picture

Super Heating

Okay, we all know that when you start doing some real work on the system, it starts over heating. But after doing some tests, it seems the temperature really does want to go up BUT the intel active monitor tries to keep it down. I really suggest you guys try this test:
    Shut down your machines for 3-5 minutes for it to cool down. So we know for certain it is nice and cool when you start. Then boot it and go straight to BIOS. Now go to Hardware monitor, and just leave it there. Wait around 5-7 mins or maybe a bit more, and you will see your CPU already touching 60+ and System Zone 2 hitting 48-52.

If this is the case, that the software is keeping the temperatures down, that means you can by no means use another operating system. Imagine trying to load Linux and using this machine as a server only to realise it has melted because you did not have a intel active monitor.
  23. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by assid
    Okay, we all know that when you start doing some real work on the system, it starts over heating. But after doing some tests, it seems the temperature really does want to go up BUT the intel active monitor tries to keep it down. I really suggest you guys try this test:
    Shut down your machines for 3-5 minutes for it to cool down. So we know for certain it is nice and cool when you start. Then boot it and go straight to BIOS. Now go to Hardware monitor, and just leave it there. Wait around 5-7 mins or maybe a bit more, and you will see your CPU already touching 60+ and System Zone 2 hitting 48-52.

If this is the case, that the software is keeping the temperatures down, that means you can by no means use another operating system. Imagine trying to load Linux and using this machine as a server only to realise it has melted because you did not have a intel active monitor.
    Hi!

Just want to inform you that when in BIOS, your CPU is _not_ on idle. It actually consumes some CPU, hence why your temps are going up when in BIOS. Basically, you put load on your system when in BIOS...

When you idle your box in XP with AM (Active Monitor), the system have less load than in BIOS, that's why your temps are lower in AM.

/Fred

PS: This is not just for Intel, I've had the same on AMD-platforms with ASUS board.
  25. No Profile Picture

Puh, I'm not alone;-)

My box:
    Intel board D865PERL rev. C26719-214
    Intel P4 3.0E GHz 478 1MB (using Intel box-supplied CPU-fan)
    2x512 DDR 400 (Kingston KVR400X64C3AK2/1G)
    120GB IBM DeskStar (ATA)
    Hyp-Thr enabled

Case:
    Antec Sonata with extra 120mm front fan

PSU:
    Antec TruePower 380W

System idle:
    CPU: ~42 cel
    SZ1: ~30 cel
    SZ2: ~35 cel

System on load
    CPU: ~55-60 cel
    SZ1: ~38-42 cel
    SZ2: >50 cel

When my AM (Active Monitor) start to alert me, I stop the StressTest (using Prime95 http://www.mersenne.org/prime.htm) since SZ2 not seem to drop...

Will try to mount an extra 80x80-fan tonight and see what happens when pointed on SZ2. SZ2 is somewhere between the CPU and I/O's.

Have you guys ever thought that the temps on the PERL are actually OK? I mean that the AM threashold (spelling) might be @ 50 by default for _all_ installations and might need to be tuned for your specific board (in our case PERL)? It could be that 50-55 cel is actually normal for this board under heavy load...I doubt, but it could...if you get my point.

/Fred

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo