Thread: Watercooling...

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Watercooling...

alright guys.i was considering watercooling my computer to keep it nice and cool when i decide to overclock.

what can you guys tell me about watercooling?

Case

video water block

hdd cooler

cpu waterblock

and i'm still open for a chipset waterblock
  3. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Haven't made any personal forays into the watercooled world yet, but I've read a lot about it. First, you can find reviews of pumps, blocks, etc on tomshardware and other sites, google a bit for it. The lower the thermal resistance the better. Second, installation and such can be a bit complicated. I would recommend starting with just the cpu, and getting that sorted out first, before adding additional complexity. I also would say unless you're using SCSI or 10000 rpm Raptor hdd's, water cooling them is not worth the effort. Look at an easy to install fan or something if you have to. I have no separate cooling on the hard drive (7200rpm), and it works just fine. Same with the chipset, really. A better air cooler is probably all the effort its worth.
    Remember too that the hoses need to be top quality and installed correctly (test before putting it in the case) to prevent leaks. Water cooling is not an install and forget system, you need to regularly check for leaks, and change the water from time to time.
    A quiet, high efficiency pump is a necessesity. You need to pump water at a good rate for good heat transfer and cooling.
    A large fan is a must both for cooling the radiator and for keeping things quiet.
    HTH
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I have had a few water cooling setups, and for a first venture I would recommend getting a complete kit... FrozenCPU (and other places) offer them with everything you need, and it really is the easiest solution... Then, as you see fit, you can mix and match other components to upgrade.

Danger Den is definitely top of the line, but I have also liked Innovatek (German engineering), and I am currently assembling a system with this kit from Asetek:

http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/ex-wat-45.html

Very nice... big beefy blocks, a 120VAC pump. Although they work fine, I don't like the tube connections (just press fit), and would prefer threaded fittings.

Keeping drives cool is important, but I am not sold on the wc solutions for it... I use a fan cooler, and just switch the leads from 12V to 5V, so it goes slower and makes less noise...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo