Thread: Overheating

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Overheating

I have an old Laptop. It is a HP OMNIBOOK XE2. It has performed very well over the years but now the cooling fan will start up and run durning startup but after that, it never comes back on. The bottom of the laptop is extremly hot, so hot you can not even put it on your lap. If the fan comes on durning start up I guess that means the motor is good and I went in to BIOS and made sure cooling was set to performance. I want to do the repair not worth sending out, but do not know what to do next? Any ideas please.
    Thanks
    Turbo
  3. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Maybe a temp sensor is broken? Or the fan might have other problems. You could try replacing it yourself if you're comfortable opening up a laptop. Else, take it to the shop.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by karsh44
    Maybe a temp sensor is broken? Or the fan might have other problems. You could try replacing it yourself if you're comfortable opening up a laptop. Else, take it to the shop.
    I have replaced the fan and it runs on windows startup but that is it. I want to change the temp sensor but from what I heard of it is located on the motherboard. Can I change it myself and where do I get these parts? If It is not possible for me to do myself who is the best to send my laptop to. I relly want to do it myself.
    Thannks
    Sal
  7. No Profile Picture

This is an old thread but I have the same problem, ie, fan only comes on at startup and then never again. I have a Compaq Evo N600C with Win XP.

I went into bios and the only fan options available are "Run fan when AC power available". This was disabled so I enabled it and the fan does now run constantly. Is there a problem with leaving it in this state? I guess it will reduce the life of the fan.

Or is there another solution. I can't actually find where the CPU temp or fan is controlled. Looked in Bios and Control Panel. Is there some software I can install that will turn the fan on/off as required.

Thanks
    Dan
  9. No Profile Picture

Temp Sensor Broken

it is temp sensor is broken please give to any hardware shop
    thanks

Praveenpoil@yahoo.com
    :)

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo