1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unhappy My prescott...my problem..any ideas people??

Hello people1i think that i have a common problem as many people having a prescott cpu.to be a bit more speciffic...i have a GIGABYTE 8knxp and intel pentium 4 2.8ghz 800fsb processor...1gb of ram and some optical drives and hd. At the moment im using the cpu in HTcos the temperature is too high. The last few days even in HT the temperature readings from the GB spoftware show 75 degrees celcius!!i have the thermal take case with 7 fans oin it and the coolermaster jet 4
    cpu fan.whenever i switch back to normal (i meannot HT)the temperature is increasing..now im using the pcwith HT and the temperature decreases but there is no chance of o/c any people here have any ideas?
  3. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

HT? You mean hyperthreading? I haven't seen anything linking cpu temp to HT on or off. Strange.
    Anyway, try reattaching your heatsink. Take it off, clean it up, and re-install with arctic silver thermal paste, being sure to get good contact between the heatsink and cpu. Then be sure it is fastened securely, and that the fan is plugged in.
    Blow out any dust that has accumulated.
    Be sure there is space around the case.
    Be sure you have fans blowing out and in in roughly equal measure on the case.
    Be sure you have the latest bios updates, some boards have been reading temps wrong.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by karsh44
    HT? You mean hyperthreading? I haven't seen anything linking cpu temp to HT on or off. Strange.
    Anyway, try reattaching your heatsink. Take it off, clean it up, and re-install with arctic silver thermal paste, being sure to get good contact between the heatsink and cpu. Then be sure it is fastened securely, and that the fan is plugged in.
    Blow out any dust that has accumulated.
    Be sure there is space around the case.
    Be sure you have fans blowing out and in in roughly equal measure on the case.
    Be sure you have the latest bios updates, some boards have been reading temps wrong.
    Thanx for that quick repply man.really appreciated that!will try the things u said and fingers crossed!
    do u recommend or anyone else a good heatsink?i have a spare spark 7 fan that runs at 6000rpm and imthinking to ionstall that one!whats the best cooling system for the HOT prescott?except water cooling that is!
  7. No Profile Picture

I have a 3.2 prescott (with an abit IS7) and was having some high heat problems too, upwards of 65-70 under load, idling at around 55. I found my problem was the cpu hsf, and put a thermaltake spark 7 on there, and now i'm down to around 40 idle and 50-55 load....so, if you've got a spark 7 kicking around like you said, try it out with some good paste (the arctic silver)....it helped mine quite a bit.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by creedclay
    I have a 3.2 prescott (with an abit IS7) and was having some high heat problems too, upwards of 65-70 under load, idling at around 55. I found my problem was the cpu hsf, and put a thermaltake spark 7 on there, and now i'm down to around 40 idle and 50-55 load....so, if you've got a spark 7 kicking around like you said, try it out with some good paste (the arctic silver)....it helped mine quite a bit.
    yeah will try that mate...cheers for that!
  11. No Profile Picture

do u recommend or anyone else a good heatsink?
    I have recently tried three different coolers: Zalman 7000 (air), Thermaltake SilentTower (air + copper tubes), and Thermalright SP94 (copper tubes) + Thermaltake fan. All of them are very very good and quiet coolers. I have decided eventually to go for Thermaltake SilentTower, it's a bit huge but extremely silent and combines both copper tubes and air cooling. Also it's possible to attache two fans to it from both sides if it's necessary. Temperature on my Prescott 2.8 varies between 46-57 C right now, and dependent on different applications. I also have that Hardcano toy but in my humble opinion it's really a toy. Also I have removed 4 of 7 fans from my Xazer because they are actually redundant and cause an excessive noise.
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by vladp
    I have recently tried three different coolers: Zalman 7000 (air), Thermaltake SilentTower (air + copper tubes), and Thermalright SP94 (copper tubes) + Thermaltake fan. All of them are very very good and quiet coolers. I have decided eventually to go for Thermaltake SilentTower, it's a bit huge but extremely silent and combines both copper tubes and air cooling. Also it's possible to attache two fans to it from both sides if it's necessary. Temperature on my Prescott 2.8 varies between 46-57 C right now, and dependent on different applications. I also have that Hardcano toy but in my humble opinion it's really a toy. Also I have removed 4 of 7 fans from my Xazer because they are actually redundant and cause an excessive noise.
    i think i wiltry Thermaltake Spark 7 for a start and if i see temp still increasing then will get the truetowerits very weird working on 60-62 degrees on HT without O/C!!
    Anyone suggests any water cooling solutions?>saw the zalman and teh aquarius ones. Whats ur opinion?
  15. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by xtraktor
    i think i wiltry Thermaltake Spark 7 for a start and if i see temp still increasing then will get the truetowerits very weird working on 60-62 degrees on HT without O/C!!
    Anyone suggests any water cooling solutions?>saw the zalman and teh aquarius ones. Whats ur opinion?
    I have installed once that Aquarius thingie. First, it's very very expensive, and I don't feel that the price they ask for water cooling system is a real price. Also in comparison with Thermalright SP94 I came to conclusion that the lattest is more efficient in the long run. Also the water cooling system (the pump in particular) tends to malfunction with time. Eventually if your processor is not overloaded with some rendering applications you may gain 3-4 deg but when you run some serious 3D applications, well prepare to be disappointed, the water cooling will fail for 5-7 deg vs. Thermalright. The only advantage of the water cooling vs. Zalman 7000 is its noiselessness, but again the PSU fan produces more noise than Zalman 7000 or TT Tower. All in all, if you could afford the Arctic Cooler system (installed into PCI slot and which ironically doesn't work with Prescott) it's the best solution, in my opinion to the Northwood processors, but for Prescott I would still recommend TT Tower or TR SP94.
  17. No Profile Picture

I have installed once that Aquarius thingie. First, it's very very expensive, and I don't feel that the price they ask for water cooling system is a real price. Also in comparison with Thermalright SP94 I came to conclusion that the lattest is more efficient in the long run. Also the water cooling system (the pump in particular) tends to malfunction with time. Eventually if your processor is not overloaded with some rendering applications you may gain 3-4 deg but when you run some serious 3D applications, well prepare to be disappointed, the water cooling will fail for 5-7 deg vs. Thermalright. The only advantage of the water cooling vs. Zalman 7000 is its noiselessness, but again the PSU fan produces more noise than Zalman 7000 or TT Tower. All in all, if you could afford the Arctic Cooler system (installed into PCI slot and which ironically doesn't work with Prescott) it's the best solution, in my opinion to the Northwood processors, but for Prescott I would still recommend TT Tower or TR SP94.
    Its me again..me and my hot prescott...this sojnds liek a drama but its the reality...just installed the thermaltake spark 7 and....well temperature 63 degrees celcius and noise as hell!!im quite disappointed plus theresnt a chance of me overclocking itis there any chance of the processor or the mobvo to be faulty?i have changed almost everything./..the PSU the case the fans....is this possible????
  19. No Profile Picture

Its me again..me and my hot prescott...this sojnds liek a drama but its the reality...just installed the thermaltake spark 7 and....well temperature 63 degrees celcius and noise as hell!!im quite disappointed plus theresnt a chance of me overclocking itis there any chance of the processor or the mobvo to be faulty?i have changed almost everything./..the PSU the case the fans....is this possible????
    Well, I didn't have a chance to try TT Spark 7 myself, and I didn't hear any independent opinion on it. I presume according to its specification it should work well unless there is a problem with thermal paste or temeperature measurement. Anyway it should be noisy according to their documentation (6000 rpm at 55 deg). Moreover if there are additional fans in the vicinity of your Spark than you shouldn't be surprised that at elevated temperatures you cannot hear music from your dynamics. Overclocking is another story, and for me the noiseless operation of the heatsink is more important than racing my PC. So you may consider to try something like Zalman 7000C in this case which is rather cheap. I am not sure about whole configuration of your PC and BIOS, but I have used Zalman with Prescott 2.8 for a long time, and really enjoyed the quite environment, also temperature was not so high like you report here, though for now I have changed it for TT Tower.
  21. No Profile Picture

Well, I didn't have a chance to try TT Spark 7 myself, and I didn't hear any independent opinion on it. I presume according to its specification it should work well unless there is a problem with thermal paste or temeperature measurement. Anyway it should be noisy according to their documentation (6000 rpm at 55 deg). Moreover if there are additional fans in the vicinity of your Spark than you shouldn't be surprised that at elevated temperatures you cannot hear music from your dynamics. Overclocking is another story, and for me the noiseless operation of the heatsink is more important than racing my PC. So you may consider to try something like Zalman 7000C in this case which is rather cheap. I am not sure about whole configuration of your PC and BIOS, but I have used Zalman with Prescott 2.8 for a long time, and really enjoyed the quite environment, also temperature was not so high like you report here, though for now I have changed it for TT Tower.
    I think i will start thinking selling the 2.8 and get something new just hopoing there isa conflict..i dunno....im totally dissapointed..even tho the sparlk 7 says 6000rpm in 55 C yesterday i saw 65 degrees!!running hot and hot...even tho i used arctic thermal pastei dont know what else to do....my new conspiracy theory is mobo or cpu is faulty
  23. No Profile Picture

Finally!

hello people...just wanted to say that everything is cooler than ever!!i had to update my bios and after updating went and saw the tempt...and from 65 degrees the temperature reading was......35 degrees!!it can reach 40 degrees ijn load but the again is better than 65!!!its like having an new cpu!!!thanx all of you for your time and your suggestions
  25. No Profile Picture

Hello people1i think that i have a common problem as many people having a prescott cpu.to be a bit more speciffic...i have a GIGABYTE 8knxp and intel pentium 4 2.8ghz 800fsb processor...1gb of ram and some optical drives and hd. At the moment im using the cpu in HTcos the temperature is too high. The last few days even in HT the temperature readings from the GB spoftware show 75 degrees celcius!!i have the thermal take case with 7 fans oin it and the coolermaster jet 4
    cpu fan.whenever i switch back to normal (i meannot HT)the temperature is increasing..now im using the pcwith HT and the temperature decreases but there is no chance of o/c any people here have any ideas?
    I will tell you that the prescotts do run a bit hotter than other intel processors. I just got a SilverStone NT01 heatpipe heatsink and it has droped my idle temp. from 45 (C) to 35 (C)
    and my full load temp from around 55-60 (c) to around 50 (C)
    Prescotts usually run anywhere from 45 to up arounf 75 (C) so unless you system is not stable and dont go over 80 (C) then i wouldnt worry about it.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo