1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton heatsink and fan

I am building a new computer and I need some help on a heatsink and fan. I am goin with a AMD 2500+ Barton and a Biostar M7CND-PRO mobo. I plan to overclock but nothing extreme. I have a limited budget. I would like to know if a Speeze "WhisperRock II" will fit on my mobo without any moding. Also is that a good hsf? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

What's wrong with the stock HSF? I have the same chip and mobo (mine's not a PRO). At first I thought the stock HSF wasn't good enough and I upgraded to a Volcano 11. But it was my case that wasn't breathing good enough. I still have the volcano on the chip but I think it's only helping cool it about 2-3C more than the stock HSF.
  5. No Profile Picture

Its great to finally find someone who is using the same configuration. Most people have Asus or Abit mobos. I was hoping to be able to buy the OEM version and then buy a good heatsink and fan for the difference between the retail and OEM..maybe spend a few bucks more. I mean if I could get a better hsf for the same price why not. What are your temps? Are you overclocking any?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'm running 39C at 2205 MHz when I surf the Internet. All I did was bump the FSB up to 200 from the default of 166. If I set the FSB at 201 it won't boot. There's no way to bump up the voltage and if you set it too high and it won't boot, you have to reset the CMOS. With some of the Asus/Abit boards you can adjust the voltage and they'll reset the CMOS by themselves and boot the PC if you get carried away.

I used the Arctic Silver goo and followed their detailed directions for application of it.
  9. No Profile Picture

Smile

Awesome! All I ever hear is that if you wanna overclock you have to have a really good hsf with alot of case fans. Thats great if I can use the stock hsf and do some pretty good overclocking at the same time. Thanks so much for your information. If you had any other tips/advice about this config please lemme know. Thanks again

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo