January 2nd, 2005, 03:56 PM
digital temperature/fan-control with LCD for PC, selfmade
It is done, a final version of a guidance how to built up this fan/temperatue-control is available now
for the Download. (press button "Auf gehts" to start download)
Here you can find some pictures and a detailed desription in english
the main characteristics in the overview:
- Micro-controller digitally regulated fan/temperature-control, regulation works 100% independently of the operating system (e.g. Windows...)
- with up to 8 sensors the temperatures of the PC's are monitored and the speed of the fans are adapted automatically
- very exact temperature sensors with a accuracy of 0,1°C (DS1820)
- several safety functions protect against the overheating of the computer hardware
- low-loss control of the fans by pulse-width-modulation (PWM), saves energy and produces no additional heat
- the fans can be regulated within a range of 40% to 100%
- The fan's speed is also shown in PWM mode, over the whole work area
- suitable also for watercooling
- display of all values on LCD 1*20/2*20/4*20 (temperatures, fan's "rpm", alarm status...)
- simple operation over only 2 keys
- very flexible configuration possible (alarm temperatures, sensor-fan config, hysteresis...)
- storage of all settings in eeprom
Sorry for the bad english, i will try to improve the translation but it is a little bit hard for me. Maybe someone can help me?
January 19th, 2005, 02:07 PM
If someone are not able to connect to my website and want to get the "HowTo built this Fan-Control", please simply send me a email to "firstname.lastname@example.org" with subjekt "HowTo Fan-Control" and i will send you the full archive containing a screenshot of my website, all plans and the HowTo.
August 19th, 2005, 10:12 AM
A "small" update of the project:
1.) Instead of a normal Text-LCDs (HD44780 etc.) also a graphics LCD can be connected now, with that some more information can be indicated at the same time. I used a GLCD with the controller "T6963C" (240 * 64 pixel) here.
Here is a short video: Video of the GLCD (press button "Auf gehts" to start download)
Description of the GLCD: Regulation with GLCD
2.) The software for Windows is now also almost ready. At this time all dates of the regulation can be indicated and adapted (temperature-, fan-, regulation dates as well as all configuration data: temperature limits, sensor-fan config, etc.).
As next a small interface comes for the software "Samurize" www.samurize.com included, with that everyone can represent the dates graphical likes he want to.
You find a precise description and even further information here: Windows Software
The most important enlargement is to be let indicate all dates in a diagram. With that one gets a very good overlooks about the regulation behavior and with that whether all attitudes are correct.
The diagram can be stored if required with a right click as a graphics file.
3.) With this enlargement bigger fans (>2W) or several can be connected at the same time. in total 6 fans with each 10 W can be connected.
Description of the fan enlargement: fan enlargement
February 8th, 2006, 08:30 AM
Ok here are now a final update of this project.
I have reworked the hole Windows Software V1.8 and added many new feature.
I have finished 2 extension for this project:
- "8 channel light control" -> "8 channel light control"
- "Emergency shutdown / alarm output / pump check" -> "emergency shutdown"
extension: "8 channel light control"
- With this extension can 8 additional light channels manages and to be programmed own light sequences. Here a short sample movie: light sequence. ( to start download click button "starte download" )
- it can be also showed the speed of a fan as bar graph or as a binary value
- alle settings can be done in windows software:
extension: "Emergency shutdown / alarm output / pump check"
The emergency shutdown works in this case not over the Windows software but ove the connection "power switch" of the main board. Through that the emergency shutdown is independently of Windows and works much more secure with that.
- With this extension the PC can in the alarm case shutdown or completly switch off.
- In Addition there is another relay with that on the extension an additional fan or a pump in the alarm case can be activated.
In the case of following alarms the emergency shutdown is activated:
- temperature of a sensor rise over the defined value ( overtemp. )
- a temperature sensor turned out
- rate of a pump or flow sensor lies under the defined value or completely breaks down