1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Exclamation P4 3.06ghz Prescott at 80 degrees

My cpu is running at 80 or late 70's with the case side off and the fan running full belt at over 4000rpm. its extremely loud but the temp is whats bothering me, its bin like this since i have installed it. the system runs extremely stable, barely ever crashes (i mean ever). the only thermal material i used was the thermal pad on the bottom of the heatsink that came with the processor. the system temp is about 34 degrees on the norm. any one tell me whats up please, thanks

ghostme
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

heatsink-thermal pad

Hi, uuhhh..ok, I thought my temp was high...yours is WAYYY out there . Anyway, I am going to take a gamble that you are using the stock heatsink/thermal pad. I have read a fair bit that the intel heatsink is not very good, but I did not want to buy another one so I used the intel one for a while. I did get another one and the temp did fall about 15 degrees C. I did not get a fancy one though, so I would bet that would work better. I would recommend that you get another heatsink. This I am not at all sure about but I think the paste is better than the thermal pads, so you might want to look into that as well.

Good Luck
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks, anyone else got any ideas?

cheers
  7. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Make sure you have the latest bios for your board, the temp might not be reported right. Best way to reduce temps is a new heatsink/fan combo. Thermalright and Zalman are good (basically you want one that is large and copper, and use Arctic Silver thermal paste).
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  9. No Profile Picture

Similar problem with P4 3GHz

Hello,
    I got similar problems (brought a new PC on Dec 2004)--

System/setup:
    - P4 3GHz LGA775, intel i915GAG, 1 pc CDWR, no AGP card added yet, 1G DDR400, 80G HDD. ATX vertical metal chassis,
    - 1 fan blow-in directly onto CPU HTSK from left-hand-side of the chassis, CPU cooling fan blow-in towards the CPU, 1 fan blow-out from back located right under the PC power supply (the power supply also has fans sucking air out as well)
    - Heard from intel's web that P4 530 CPU Tc ~68C (zone 1 and 2 ~ 38C)

Recorded situations:
    - room ambient ~ 17-22 C
    - motherbroad Zone 1&2 ~ 38-49 C
    - CPU temp (diode) ~ 47-51 C at low loading
    - CPU temp (diode) ~ 55-64 C at high loading
    (for example, Virus-scan + outlook or seeing PDF large pages on websites)
    - CPU Fan read ~2220 rpm
    - improved wirings intel 2 minutes stress test CPU temp. 62C
    - I would expected that the CPU will be running at around 6x-7xC in summer time when room ambient at around 30C!

I tried to study the CPU cooling fan mounting, and found:
    - The (came-with-box) cooling fan is mounting on the broad vis four plastic pins snapped-in to the broad; the contact pressure from the HTSK to the CPU is not very high.
    - suspected not efficiently making contact between the cooler HTSK and the CPU surface vis the thermal pad.
    - Unforntunately, don't know how to take the HTSK assembly out in order to apply some thermal compound ! !
    (tried with the four HTSK pins untightened and with some pulling force but did not feel able to remove the HTSK)
    - Should I disassemble the screws of the motherbroad in order to remove the HTSK from below? Anybody pls kindly advise!!!

CKanthon
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

I could be off on this but 2000 rpm for a cpu fan sounds really low. I'd expect at least 4000rpm, most of the cpu fans i've seen clock at 5000rpm or higher. If your cpu fan isn't blowing properly then you've found your problem.
    Like the answers I give? Why not ask me directly at my forum. I'm always glad to help.

Javascript scripts and tips can be found at Dynamic Tools.
    Check out DynamicTable, the best javascript table sorter around.
    Get reliable and affordable hosting at www.thinksmarthosting.com
  13. No Profile Picture

P4 temp. issue

Hei ProggerPete,

Thanks for addressing this aspects.
    I also realized that the fan is running at quite a low speed. The fan was running like this when I first used the intel's monitor program.
    Whereas I saw other people saying that their P4 CPU fan running at around 2500 rpm. (Or else!? pls correct me if I my wrong)....
    The CPU fan is controlled by the CPU/Bios program I think. I visited the intel's websites at where it mentioned about the PWM circuit controlling the fan speed. The fan speed will increases with the ambient temperature when it is getting higher (rpm increases linearly with temp.) Unfortunately, the ambient sensor of the fan is somewhere on the CPU's fan rather than on the CPU/motherbroad. This might be a problem for me because:
    - At the very beginning, when I bought the PC from the shop (installed by those technician working V. busily at that moment) The wire layout etc at that moment was not so good. I found the upper chassis temp. was quite warm. It was due to the fact that all the fans were blowing-out. (I think it created a low pressure inside and the air circulation was not very good) When I opened the chassis and felt the HTSK, the part facing the power supply was hotter (also the power supply got quite warm).
    - Then I studied the layout and decised to reverse the fan (left hand side of the chasis) to blow air in (directly to the CPU) Resulting that the PC chasis (both upper and right hand side) are getting cooler.
    - But since alot of cooler air is going towards the CPU and its fan, as the result, the sensor of the CPU fan always "feel" cool and I think that is why the fan is running at a lower speed.

I will continuously keep an eye on this temp issue. Maybe I will (later when have time) try to switch the fan control off on the bios (then the fan will be running at highest speed)
    - Other hand, I already update the Bios and I'd tried running the intel stress test twice at a short period of time. The CPU finally reached 67C and Warning was prompted. The CPU fan speed read 2350 rpm and afterwards for around 10 seconds it returned to around 54s. Therefore the contact of the thermal pad is there but it could be a fact that the heat transfer is not so efficient.

Anybody tried to DIY the HTSK? I guess I cannot removed the CPU's HTSK without taking the motherbraod out. Am I correct?

CKanthon

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo