1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

P4 3.0E Ghz - Heat Problem Please Help!

Hi Guys,
    The problem is that I have a P4 3E GHz processor and I think its running too hot. I have 3 fans + CPU fan in total, these are:

2 Zalman 80mm ZM-F1 fans - one at front and one on the case side
    1 Antec 120mm SmartCool on the back as an exhaust
    1 Zalman CNPS7000B CPU fan

I thought all this was gonna keep my CPU pretty cool, as I have a full sized case with 1 dvd and 1 hdd so air flow is good, but running two copies of Prime95 in torture mode (i.e. cpu maxed out) and I have temperatures about 75 degrees C.
    My case is at 41 degrees C, and PWM at 66 degrees C. Also my CPU Core Voltage is 1.35. i haven't overclocked or anything and both 80mm are drawing air in the the 120mm pushing air out the case. Also i am using Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste for the cpu and heatsink.
    I have a Abit AI7 motherboard.
    Finally I dont know if this makes any difference but I also have a Zalman ZM80D-HP Passive Graphics Card Cooler.
    Please help me find a way to ensure the maximum temperature ever is 69 degrees C (intels max allowed).
    Thankyou In Advance!
  3. Infernal Technomancer
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Did you follow the instructions for the AS5 exactly? If there's too much of that stuff between the processor and the heat sink it can actually reduce heat transfer.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Dngrsone
    Did you follow the instructions for the AS5 exactly? If there's too much of that stuff between the processor and the heat sink it can actually reduce heat transfer.

Yup pretty sure I did - half a BB on the cpu, place on heatsink twist two or three degrees left then right and screw in! Got any ideas?
  7. Infernal Technomancer

Is the CPU fan blowing into the heatsink or out?

If you have good ins and outs on the case, tehre shouldn't be that much of a problem with cooling it, provided you don't have it stuffed with accessories and such. You could try routing the cables a little differently and see if that makes a difference.

What are you using to measure the temps? Many built-in motherboard monitors are way off, for instance, the PII that I powered up last night from a cold state told me the CPU was running at 75C, and the device had been on for at most three mintes for the first time in a couple months. I know my garage wasn't that hot.

So it may be that your monitor is not calibrated, see if you can verify the temps with something else.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Dngrsone
    Is the CPU fan blowing into the heatsink or out?

If you have good ins and outs on the case, tehre shouldn't be that much of a problem with cooling it, provided you don't have it stuffed with accessories and such. You could try routing the cables a little differently and see if that makes a difference.

What are you using to measure the temps? Many built-in motherboard monitors are way off, for instance, the PII that I powered up last night from a cold state told me the CPU was running at 75C, and the device had been on for at most three mintes for the first time in a couple months. I know my garage wasn't that hot.

So it may be that your monitor is not calibrated, see if you can verify the temps with something else.
    Hi and thanks for taking the time to reply .
    Ok, as to my cpu fan i guess its blowing away, i havent changed the direction of the zalman fan and i dont think i can.
    I'm using MBM to measure my temperatures, as its an abit motherboard i've heard they can report a few degrees higher.
    Also I've bought rounded cables and i took the time to move and tie all the cables to the side when i first built it so air flow should be pretty good. I think it would be a good idea to verify the temperatures but how would you use something to measure the temperature of the cpu without removing the heatsink? Thanks for the help.
  11. Infernal Technomancer

A not-quite-accurate but pretty close method it to place a thermometer against the heat sink close to the CPU and see what temperature the heat sink is sitting at. The CPU will be a tad hotter than that, but it give you at least a ball-park estimate of how far off your motherboard sensors are.
    Asker of questions and all-around annoying guy.

For difficult hardware problems, go to the Hard Side™-- DevHardware Forums
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well firstly, its a prescott so it's allowed to go up to 95C but no more than 70C for long periods of time.

Secondly, you done all of the standard stuff (apply as5 properly, check fans are spinning, etc)?

Thirldly, its a prescott so it has alot of room for overclocking, voltage-wise, which means the inverse is quite true, you can lower the voltage to reduce temperatures. Just lower it 0.025V at a time through your bios, run a few tests (p95, spi, etc) to test if its stable. That'll bring down temps really well depending on the quality of your chip.
  15. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by wwwww
    Well firstly, its a prescott so it's allowed to go up to 95C but no more than 70C for long periods of time.

Secondly, you done all of the standard stuff (apply as5 properly, check fans are spinning, etc)?

Thirldly, its a prescott so it has alot of room for overclocking, voltage-wise, which means the inverse is quite true, you can lower the voltage to reduce temperatures. Just lower it 0.025V at a time through your bios, run a few tests (p95, spi, etc) to test if its stable. That'll bring down temps really well depending on the quality of your chip.

Hi, already thought about that and was wondering if you could help with it. My motherboard is an abit ai7 and in the bios settings i'm pretty sure is at minimum voltage, i can turn it up but not down, its at about 1.37 now i think.
  17. No Profile Picture

SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 3.0ghz P4 prescot. socket 478

DUDE
    I have the exact same problem with the exact same processor. I've had this guy for 5 or so years and in the last 3 or so it has been heating up no matter what I do. I've even taken it into the shop and had them re-seat the processor and put new arctic silver under it. I have a dfi lanparty MB so have over clock options up the yin yang and I've tried everything but dropping the voltage. I hate the idea of dropping the voltage because it seems like it could make the processor even more sluggish but I may have to do it as a last resort. I have the full size xclio twin engine case which has serious fans (250 mm in front, 350 mm on side, 120mm in back). I also have a heat sync fan speed controller which I can crank up but that only drops it to like 64c idle and the noise is unbearable. My power source has 2 120 mm fans of its own and all my cables are round so Needless to say its like a wind tunnel in my case and the chip seems to steadily climb in temp as it ages no matter what I try . Anyway, My chip is running at 74-78C idle and has been for the last 6 months. I've about had it with this chip so if it burns up i'll replace it with the 3.2 model. I'm going to reluctantly try dropping the voltage and then try buying a new heat sync with fan..... then I'm going to smash it and buy a new 3.2. I can say that it only rises to about 80-85c under heavy load but that probably because of the awesome airflow. I can also say that this thing has hung on with some SUPER high temps. I've had it over 200F and its still kickin. I had no idea how hot this thing was getting until the second year i had it. Thats when i upgraded to the new case in hopes it would cure the problem which it did for a while. I don't know what to tell you man other then i feel your pain!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo