Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Angry Laptop Overheating - Please help!!

I have an HP pavilion ze5200 laptop which is consistently overheating and shutting down.

Spec is
    P4 2.8Ghz
    40GB Hitachi Hard drive
    256MB RAM
    Win XP Home

According to SpeedFan the CPU is running at 70 C and the hard disk at 56 C and the fans are running at 0 rpm (!). But I can see the fans are definitely working.

Any suggestions on how to sort this out would be much appreciated - it'll be an expensive repair job otherwise!
  3. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by chezzabella
    I have an HP pavilion ze5200 laptop which is consistently overheating and shutting down.

Spec is
    P4 2.8Ghz
    40GB Hitachi Hard drive
    256MB RAM
    Win XP Home

According to SpeedFan the CPU is running at 70 C and the hard disk at 56 C and the fans are running at 0 rpm (!). But I can see the fans are definitely working.

Any suggestions on how to sort this out would be much appreciated - it'll be an expensive repair job otherwise!

If you're deffinately sure that the fans are working it maybe a bios problem. Try updating to the latest bios for your laptop. I see you have a HP, they have excellent customer support. The reason i say it maybe (and not probably) a bios problem is that your cpu seems rather hot, even for a laptop, which are designed to operate at high temperatures. Before this problem started do you have any stats on cpu temperature or fan speed etc...
    Also another posibility is that the SpeedFan software isnt able to monitor the fan speeds for your particular laptop and the problem could actually be that the cpu is overheating (and not some bios fault). Perhaps try cleaning the fan out with an air duster, perhaps dust is clogging up the fan! Hope this helps. Good Luck!
  5. No Profile Picture

HP DV2000 Laptop Overheating

Hi All,

I wanted to post to let HP Laptop users an overheating problem I encountered. I saw many many people post all over the web about HP laptops overheating and may have a similar problem with other brands also.

I am running an HP Pavilion dv2000 AMD Turion 64 with Windows Vista Premium and 4GB of RAM.

About 1 month prior (approx. Mid February 2009) I noticed the laptop started heating up and the problem was worsening to the point where I was constantly shutting down to prevent overheating and damaging the internal components. I am not exaggerating when I say, the bottom of the laptop was boiling hot.

I tried everything, convinced it was software related. I un-installed recently installed software from the time I recalled the problem started. Finally, after almost tiring out I started adjusting the power options... and VOILA!!! Problem resolved.

For some reason, the Windows changed its power options to an HP default setting. I changed it back to a Power Saver mode and the over heating instantly disappeared.

Hope that helps, and please post a comment if you had a similar problem and power options resolved the issue.

BTW: The laptop is only about 8 months old and I am wondering if a bug or virus caused the setting change so it would fail after its 1 year warranty.
  7. No Profile Picture

is it possible that it might work also with toshiba satellite? because my laptop also shuts down automatically when i'm playing COD4
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

try updating drivers and flashing your bios.
    check your thermal conductor it could be wearing off.
  11. No Profile Picture

Lawsuit Over HP Laptops Overheating

http:// www. sfmslaw .com/pages/cases.php?id=300

(remove the spaces)

It could be associated with the thousands of other HP laptops that are overheating. Click the above link for info about on-going lawsuits. It certainly explains my overheating issues...
  13. No Profile Picture

I was also facing the same issue, some time back, so I bought Laptop Cooling pad, since than I am not facing heating problem, if cooling pad is on... I think you can give it a try.. and its cheap too...I bought one from ebay...
  15. No Profile Picture

http:// www .cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09221.html

There is also a battery recall take out the spaces of the above link to see if yours is one of them.

Mine is less than 6 months old and I just had to take it in because it was overheating and shutting down, constantly.
  17. No Profile Picture

overheating on acer 5515

after reading yours and the others...i think u solved my problem also.....my acer shuts down constantly...especially when i've been using it all day...my HD temp is 53 cel...and 131 fah...i do believe that is a bit warm...as far as the cpu..i was not able to get that...i was trying to figure if my HD was overheating and the download said it was in critical.......so i ask..how do i fix mine...and please remember...i know nothing...so talk like i'm in the 3rd grade please.....if you say do something explain how please
  19. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by freekii
    Hi All,

I wanted to post to let HP Laptop users an overheating problem I encountered. I saw many many people post all over the web about HP laptops overheating and may have a similar problem with other brands also.

I am running an HP Pavilion dv2000 AMD Turion 64 with Windows Vista Premium and 4GB of RAM.

About 1 month prior (approx. Mid February 2009) I noticed the laptop started heating up and the problem was worsening to the point where I was constantly shutting down to prevent overheating and damaging the internal components. I am not exaggerating when I say, the bottom of the laptop was boiling hot.

I tried everything, convinced it was software related. I un-installed recently installed software from the time I recalled the problem started. Finally, after almost tiring out I started adjusting the power options... and VOILA!!! Problem resolved.

For some reason, the Windows changed its power options to an HP default setting. I changed it back to a Power Saver mode and the over heating instantly disappeared.

Hope that helps, and please post a comment if you had a similar problem and power options resolved the issue.

BTW: The laptop is only about 8 months old and I am wondering if a bug or virus caused the setting change so it would fail after its 1 year warranty.

hey i have a similar problem with my laptop, i tried what you suggested but it doesn't really make a difference in my case.
  21. No Profile Picture

HP Laptop overheating issues

I think the issue is with the motherboard,there is no solution for that ,if you do try to replace your motherboard with a new one after some time you can the issue again

Hp is dealing a worst time when related to overheating issues

Hp must do something inorder to keep its customers

Spec is
    P4 2.8Ghz
    40GB Hitachi Hard drive
    256MB RAM
    Win XP Home

23. No Profile Picture

I used to have this problem, I removed the case cover to let it cool down. Now I always use it without the case cover. Dust builup more quicker but it cools it down a lot.
  25. No Profile Picture

is there a list of hp notbooks that are having overheating issues?? mine is DV6700 model.My warranty is out so they won't coment on the issues and want me to pay out of pocket $300 bucks to have a new mother board put into a 2 year old notebook.. some things to try ( check the recall list on hps site for the battery) if it is over heating take out the battery before you fry the motherboard.. if you need the battery change your powersettings to powersaver mode...
  27. No Profile Picture

take out the main battery and run it off plug in power.. check hp's battery recall list..

Spec is
    P4 2.8Ghz
    40GB Hitachi Hard drive
    256MB RAM
    Win XP Home

29. No Profile Picture

Check the heat sink to cpu connection

Download Speedfan to check your cpu temp: if it's over 50 Celsius then you may have a heat sink to cpu connection problem.

On mine I checked it (voiding the warranty, but the warranty had long since run out anyway): it's just a couple screws. I took off the heat rail that's on top of the cpu and found a piece of plasticy paper sandwiched inbetween the cpu top and the heat rail that had something like "please remove before use" on it. I did remove it, and before my cpu ran at 80 Celsius just idling and jumped up to 100 Celsius where it would completely freeze until it cooled off at even a java game on a webpage doing its thing: now it maxes out at 50 Celsius with as much stuff as I normally throw at it (multiple java games on webpages, scrolling a large pdf at the same time).

Isn't that bizarre? Apparently the technician assembling my computer was in a hurry or late at night or something.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo