1. cosmos curator
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

No room for fans... cooling help?

Hi all

I've got a 1U case which holds a Mini-ITX board and a couple of hard drives. I'm a little concerned because the case is running a little hot. The two drives are touching the lid, and thats where its hottest.

I'm running linux. Is there any way I can cool down the server by switching-off/suspending/sleeping any bits of hardware using some commands?
    R.T.F.M - Its the only way to fly...

"No matter what you do, or how good it is, someone will always ask for more features. Or to change the colour of something, then change their minds."

Personal:
    experience// 8 Years Web Development
    technologies// Standards-compliant, valid, & accessible (x)HTML/CSS, XML/XSL/XPath/XQuery/XUpdate, (OOP) PHP/(My)SQL, eXist/Xindice/XMLDBs
    packages// Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash/Fireworks/Director
    environment// FC2, MySQL, Lighttpd, PHP5, Mojavi/Agavi
    site// //refactored.net/ (Coming soon...)
    quote// Programming is the eternal competition between programmers who try to make apps more and more idiot proof and the universe that makes dumber idiots. So far, the universe is winning...
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

For software, depend on the motherboard and chipset. For VIA chipsets there is a program called vcool that will get system to run cooler (works well, is for Linux as well but I only ever tried on WinXP). Vcool throttles the system down when not in use or not much activity. If you have different chipset (Intel, Nvidia, SiS, etc.) could be something similiar.

Also look into drive spin down settings for the OS.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~mukesh/hacks/spindown/t1.html

That is older Linux article, so may not hold true for newer kernels. But give you a starting point.

As for case near drives hot, likely by design so the heat is transferred from drive to case and the case exposed to outside air to cool it.

For hardware, there are Laptop cooling pads, possibly something along that line.
    Last edited by shakey1980; October 13th, 2005 at 06:38 PM.
  5. cosmos curator

Thats great. Thanks for your help.

"No matter what you do, or how good it is, someone will always ask for more features. Or to change the colour of something, then change their minds."

Personal:
    technologies// Standards-compliant, valid, & accessible (x)HTML/CSS, XML/XSL/XPath/XQuery/XUpdate, (OOP) PHP/(My)SQL, eXist/Xindice/XMLDBs
    quote// Programming is the eternal competition between programmers who try to make apps more and more idiot proof and the universe that makes dumber idiots. So far, the universe is winning...
  7. Lounge Troll
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Why don't you put in some liquid cooling so you don't ahve to worry about an overheat?
    Codeinated
  9. cosmos curator

Originally Posted by cody_e
    Why don't you put in some liquid cooling so you don't ahve to worry about an overheat?
    No more room in the case. Its only 1U.

Personal:
  11. Lounge Troll
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Originally Posted by neobuddah
    No more room in the case. Its only 1U.
    You have a pic of this case?
    Codeinated
  13. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

Originally Posted by cody_e
    You have a pic of this case?
    have you seen 1U computers, the apple xserves have 1U cases....here, its hard to fit a fan in the case, never mind water cooling system

i would just get some really high volume fans for it and replace the ones you have, maybe add more too by making up new spots for some, and keep it in a room with AC
  15. cosmos curator

Originally Posted by edman007
    i would just get some really high volume fans for it and replace the ones you have, maybe add more too by making up new spots for some, and keep it in a room with AC
    I'd rather not replace the fans. I bought a mini-itx board because they don't need extra cooling. My only concern is having the hardware run down when not in use, which is about 12 hrs a day.

Personal:
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

lol, pop the case off and blow a box fan in that ish
  19. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by johnhangey
    lol, pop the case off and blow a box fan in that ish
    This thread has been dead for 5 months..........
  21. No Profile Picture

Lightbulb

Dude get 2 liquid coolers. In case 1 gets ruined. But the fans might screw up after a while.
  23. No Profile Picture

its way to small for liquid cooling...i could only suggest would be something like this in a pci exp slot and try to aim it up at the HDD

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=633874&CatId=494

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo