1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Laptop over heating?

I was woundering how long a Dell Inspiron 1100 with no extra fans could stay on before it over heats. I just got it and its my first laptop so I'm not to sure how long I can leave it on for, before it gets damaged. Its my only computer so I'm using it constantly too.
  3. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Indefinitely. I've left my Dell Inspiron 1150 on for weeks running folding units which puts a load on the CPU and still had no issue.

Comments on this post

• aitken325i agrees
    Last edited by medialint; March 18th, 2006 at 12:30 AM. Reason: de-jargonized
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  5. No Profile Picture

Nice, thanks for the info I tend to over worry and baby my computers lol
  7. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

No need to worry. As medialint said, it will run indefintalye. Just try not to have it sitting in a room where the temperature is very high and it should run for years. Although, a reboot every now and then doesn't do it any harm.
  9. No Profile Picture

Yeah, I have one of those, it tends to run incredibly hot when doing big things, but have had no freezing from it or crashes...yet!
  11. www.devhardware.com/forums

I would take extra care of laptops as they are more delicate. If it gets very very hot, I think there are fan pads or something like that available in market for lappies. Just for the sake of sanity, I would consider using one.

Normally heat is a result of very limited or no air flow on the bottom surface or laptops. Make sure it gets better air. Plus if it gets too hot, it is not good for your lap as well. Remember, the theory of reduction in semen production due to heat produced by laptops isn't proven wrong (or for that matter right) yet. j/k..
    For your more complex hardware related problems, visit DevShed's sister forums: DevHardware
    If you don't already know about it, please checkout our guide to Folding@Home . Join DevHardware team and help cure diseases. Your support is valuable and much appreciated. *
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Which fan pads would you recommend? My Gateway (blech, never buy a Gateway) was at 80 C and I charbroiled my hdd.
  15. www.devhardware.com/forums

I have never used such pads, actually. But you can just stroll down your local computer shop and find good ones.
    For your more complex hardware related problems, visit DevShed's sister forums: DevHardware
    If you don't already know about it, please checkout our guide to Folding@Home . Join DevHardware team and help cure diseases. Your support is valuable and much appreciated. *
  17. No Profile Picture

Hello Guys, I have Inspiron 1100 since last three years. It works definately great there is no doubt about it but since last six months, its giving me hard time. First of all my configuration is as below

1GB RAM (it was originally 512 and then I upgraded it to 1GB thats 512*2)
    P4 2.some GHz
    40 GB HD and 160 GB external USB HD
    I started using Cooling Fan pad since last year with USB Hub

The problem is that, even though its 1GB RAM my computer started crawling. If I open up two/three application, it goes to 100% CPU usage and after a while it just shuts down. I really need your help guys.. Please suggest me something.

Thanks in advance.
  19. www.devhardware.com/forums

Sounds like something fishy.

a. Do a hard drive defragmentation. Google and download Diskeeper Lite and run it.
    b. Run a virus scan along with spyware scan. Download Adaware, Spybot and Microsoft Antispyware. Also, download Hijackthis and post a log here so we can see what processes are running and hogging resources. Also, you can post the log on www.hijackthis.de to have it analyzed.
    c. Download and Run CCleaner. Let it take care of crap registry entries and issues with your system.
    d. Download and Run 'Cleanup!'. It will clear your computer of crappy files here and there.
    e. Use Firefox instead of Internet explorer. It has less issues with ActiveX and other malicious things. Also, browing is more fun.
    f. Download Startup manager application. Or in MS Antispyware check what apps start at startup in the computer.
    g. Visit these links and follow their tips: http://lordofnet.blogspot.com/2006/...o-speed-up.html
    http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1590

I think this should be enough to get you started.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo