1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

CPU fan speed slows down at start up

Hi my friends computer had problems with it slowing down alot in windows so i looked at the cpu temperature and it was at 60 degrees, so i bought him a new fan, he has a celeron 2.8 gig socket 478. i bought this fan "Akasa AK-675, P4, Socket 478 up to 3.6GHz Prescott". it fit in fine, but when i booted the comp up you can hear it go really loud and fast then all of a sudden it slows down and eventually stops. can the fan be too powerfull for the cpu

thanks. Dom.
  3. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

no, its fine, though your BIOS is a bit misconfigured, there is a setting in the BIOS to slow the CPU fan down until the CPU hits a specific temperature, at that point it will bring the fan speed back up until it cools off to a predetermined temp, if it turns on and it still does not help there is even a setting to restart the computer before the heat can break the CPU

you probably just want to lower the temp the BIOS turns the fan on at, keep it at 50'C, maybe lower if you want, and it should be fine, turning off the feature could shorten the life of the fan, and makes the computer a lot louder

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo