1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Need a new cpu fan - help

i need a new cpu fan, have been to few sites and have seen some fans which look same as mine (ie design) but i am not sure if they will fit my cpu or have same connection type as my cpu so how do i check?
  3. Null Pointer Exception
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

there aren't many different kinds of fans you can get, for what purpose do you think you need a new fan? have you tried just cleaning out the one you have?

You should be replacing many other things about your computer before replacing the fan usually.

if you look up the manufacturer of the computers case (or if its a premade computer like a dell) you can probably find out the specific fan information from the website.
  5. Pasan Indeewara
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by misterdanny
    there aren't many different kinds of fans you can get, for what purpose do you think you need a new fan? have you tried just cleaning out the one you have?

You should be replacing many other things about your computer before replacing the fan usually.

if you look up the manufacturer of the computers case (or if its a premade computer like a dell) you can probably find out the specific fan information from the website.
    Why do you say so? What I'm thinking is it's bettter if we can get the fan out of motherboard and we can compare it at a vendor place with available ones right..

pls correct me if'm wrong.. bye
  7. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

CPU Fan

If for whatever reason you cant find a fan with the same pin count (an issue I ran into with an older Sony VIAO desktop) Just pick up a generic. It will come with a four pin molex converter that will piggy back a free 4 pin connector and convert it to whatever size is needed for the fan.

The only issue with doing it this way is that you will have to deal with a CPU fan speed too low warning on starter. This is because your Motherboard is not reading the normal CPU fan voltage, but so long as your aftermarket is running your in good shape.

Also make sure to note whether your fan is pushing or pulling on top of your heat-sink. different manufacturers do things differently and this can affect your cooling big time.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo