1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unhappy System Over Heat Just Randomly Shuts Down...

okay so recently as the weather has heated up my computer had started to overheat... it is a gigabyte e star or something and i recently just started having problems....

so ive heard a lot of buzz from people that it should be blowing into the heat sync but i wanna know if its really true!

so REALLY should air be flowing INTO the heat sync via the fan or shoudl the fan be sucking the air out of the heat sync...?

my friend who is a comp freak recommended i make air blow out of the heatsync so i switched the fan around and i dont seem to be having any MAJOR problems so far after about 30 mins - 1 hour no shutting down/ overheating etc etc

but also 1 thing my computer says cpu fan 6000 RPM
    system fan 0 is that bad???? and one more thing

since i turned around the fan the rpm went up from about 5600- 5800 to about 6200 RPM is that good bad etc plz help

thanks!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Fan RPM doesn't really mean a lot. What is the CPU temperature?
  5. No Profile Picture

You obviously don't have much of an idea what you are trying to ask but have obviously gone into your computer with a screwdriver and played about with your CPU fan none the less. This is not typically recommended.

The obvious thing to check is if the main system fan(s), ie. the big one(s), is operating. If so, is the back of the computer near the wall?
    Do you have anything draped over your computer or near the vents?
  7. No Profile Picture

Digging

Digging around in the computer isn't so bad, helps you learn.

Just make sure your screwdriver isn't magnetized and don't start pulling things apart you don't have the skill for.

The push pull is a huge debate amongst computer enthusiasts. Mainly because each manufacturer will do things differently. Generally your heat sink is setup to work a specific way, but a little experimentation never hurt anyone.

If you want to see which way works best get yourself a program like speedfan. Free program that will allow you to see temps all over your PC. Then setup a benchmark. Check your start-up temp, right after you boot up. Then start playing your favorite game, or other processor intensive program. Run it hard for a good 20 minutes and check your temp again.

Shut down, let the CPU cool off and switch your fan, your start up temp needs to be consistent when you boot for this to be accurate. Then repeat the test. Whichever temp is lower is your winner.

Also checking your other fans and case placement to walls is an excellent idea.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo