1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Processor fan speed

Hi there
    i have computer with processor pentium 4 (1.7 G) and i have some trouble when i start my computers about 5-10 later my computers automaticly restart by self.

And i check the bios system, that i got the speed for processor fan in between 2.343 and 2.567 rpm, is that normal for pentium 4 with big heatsink....????

or the power suplly is trouble...???

does any one know what's going on...???

thankz
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

sounds slow to me, not sure of your hsfan, most of the new ones run 5500++rpm . is this like a HP with a duct between the cpu and the rear case fan? and also some bios utilities give false info on proprietary boards.
    Last edited by Known_criminal; October 4th, 2003 at 02:24 PM.
  5. Perl Monkey
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

the far end of town where the Grickle-grass grows
    Motherboard Moniter has worked well for me on more than one system, it's a windows freebie and easy to find. Use it to check your CPU temp, as a low fan speed can allow temp to increase, the fan speed itself can't directly cause a reset.

While 2.5k sounds a bit slow, I think it's probably enough for a relatively idle cpu. Check and make sure the fan in the power supply is blowing, too (with your hand). Watch the temp and see.
  7. No Profile Picture

Actually, fan speed CAN cause your computer to shut down... on certain computers. I had an old Dell Dual-Processor Workstation that measured the fan speed for the fan blowing over the CPUs, and if it dropped too low, the computer would shut down.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo