#1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Texan at Heart
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Castle Rock, CO
    Posts
    316
    Rep Power
    21

    Adding another processor


    Finally getting a new computer from Dell with a Dual Core Xeon Proc 5160 3.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache 1333MHz. We were going to add another processor but it was $1,000. Already spending about $6,000 for one system so it just seemed a bit out of range right now.

    If we wanted to add another processor down the road, what (if anything) do we need to make sure it has / does?
  2. #2
  3. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by Corey Bryant
    Finally getting a new computer from Dell with a Dual Core Xeon Proc 5160 3.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache 1333MHz. We were going to add another processor but it was $1,000. Already spending about $6,000 for one system so it just seemed a bit out of range right now.

    If we wanted to add another processor down the road, what (if anything) do we need to make sure it has / does?
    for "down the road" your gonna be looking at more cores than what you currently have, more cache, and possibly higher speed ratings. What it the load on the server gonna be like? (light or heavy, and whats its main function)

    remember, generally a new processor is put out every 2 years, and an upgrade on that processor generally follows the year after (like the P4, then the P4 with HT ... and the core 2 duo followed by the quad core - which is just 2 core 2 duo's combined)
  4. #3
  5. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    /Users/edman007
    Posts
    4,617
    Rep Power
    906
    are you buying a one socket or dual socket system? often with with the big OEMs changing the CPU count changes the motherboard (just because that model supports 2 CPUs does not mean that the one with only 1 included CPU does, you need to be careful and check the specs)

    if its a single socket system, then your upgrade options are only to upgrade to a faster CPU, and you can go to a quad core, if its a dual socket system then you could upgrade to two dual core, or two quad core CPUs, and probably with higher clocks depending on when you get it
  6. #4
  7. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    0

    Servers with multiple cores ... use VM's


    Originally Posted by edman007
    are you buying a one socket or dual socket system? often with with the big OEMs changing the CPU count changes the motherboard (just because that model supports 2 CPUs does not mean that the one with only 1 included CPU does, you need to be careful and check the specs)

    if its a single socket system, then your upgrade options are only to upgrade to a faster CPU, and you can go to a quad core, if its a dual socket system then you could upgrade to two dual core, or two quad core CPUs, and probably with higher clocks depending on when you get it
    Very true, but the dual cpu systems dont support quad cores yet unfortunately. BUT ... theres a board that can take 2 dual core opterons (cant remember where i saw it). I read somewhere that ABIT (i believe) was planning a dual CPU mobo using the 975x chipset which, for those that dont know, would mean it would be qualified to run 2 core 2 quad processors making it effectively and 8 core system. Though in the article i read it didnt mention a date, only that it was being planned. Though if advancements go as planned, CPU processing power nearly doubles every 3 years (just looked that up) so the board will only be "top of the line" for about 2 years if they released it within 6 months. Intel will likely release either a TRUE quad core CPU, or advance their architecture within 3 years. But the draw back to adding cores is that much of the power isnt used. Untill programs are written for multithreading more commonly, the chance of a program using ALL cores is slim to none. And in this case (being the case of a server) your looking at runnin multiple server program on one node, so the use of 4-8 cores would be very similar to making a small server cluster. Finally, with servers with multiple cores your likely to end up using virtual machines (a very nice thing might i add). So in the end it all comes down to are you really gonna have a load on 1 8 core server that a 4 core system cant handle?

    I just find the fact of people wanting more and more cores a but redundant without applications that can effectively use them. So my advise would be just to wait till the time comes that you need to upgrade then see whats in the market. Whats there now as "high grade" parts will be standard within a few years so unless you need to upgrade now, dont bother with it.
  8. #5
  9. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    /Users/edman007
    Posts
    4,617
    Rep Power
    906
    Originally Posted by matkisson
    ...but the dual cpu systems dont support quad cores yet unfortunately....
    where have you been? the quad core motherboards are already in the market, as well as the accompanying quad core Xeons (granted they are not true quad core at heart, but there are 4 cores in one socket), in fact there are people who are running 8 cores on a MacPro, so saying that those boards don't exist is wrong, they need at most a BIOS update, and in the case of the MacPro, just the CPUs, most (all?) socket 771 systems support quad core if they support a 1333FSB, for the AMD side, the quad core CPUs are not out yet, but IIRC AMD has said that quad core support is a feature of socket F, so any board with that socket should support quad core when they come out (maybe 3-4 months), with at most a BIOS update

    as for the "can you use that many cores" argument, its no problem in the high end market, if your spending $6K on a computer with a Xeon from Dell, then chances are its not a gaming box, its either a 3D graphics workstation or a server, and applications run on those boxes have no problem with threading, raytracing and basically all server processes scale almost linearly as the work is very easy to divide up into threads, its easy to get over 100 threads so the more cores the better
  10. #6
  11. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by edman007
    where have you been? the quad core motherboards are already in the market, as well as the accompanying quad core Xeons (granted they are not true quad core at heart, but there are 4 cores in one socket), in fact there are people who are running 8 cores on a MacPro, so saying that those boards don't exist is wrong, they need at most a BIOS update, and in the case of the MacPro, just the CPUs, most (all?) socket 771 systems support quad core if they support a 1333FSB, for the AMD side, the quad core CPUs are not out yet, but IIRC AMD has said that quad core support is a feature of socket F, so any board with that socket should support quad core when they come out (maybe 3-4 months), with at most a BIOS update

    as for the "can you use that many cores" argument, its no problem in the high end market, if your spending $6K on a computer with a Xeon from Dell, then chances are its not a gaming box, its either a 3D graphics workstation or a server, and applications run on those boxes have no problem with threading, raytracing and basically all server processes scale almost linearly as the work is very easy to divide up into threads, its easy to get over 100 threads so the more cores the better
    sorry, i should have been more specific. I meant that there arent many boards that the end user can get and workwith that will take dual quad cores. Specifically the Core 2 Quads seeing as how the Xeon's are meant for servers, but yes thet can be used for desktop computers if a person really wanted that. But as far as the fact that AMD's quad will be using the socket F form, it still requires a compatible chipset. There are boards that can take 2 AMD dual cores, and some that can take dual Xeon quads, but again, im not a server person nor would i want a server grade CPU in a computer i build, too much for equal performance on a desktop. I know that boards with 1333Mhz FSB take quads, but how many do you see can take 2 Core 2 Quads? - Not Server Boards
    ------
    AMD Dual Socket L Motherboard - Currently can only take 2 Dual cores (But said to support quads) will be able to support 8 cores total - Note : This is NOT a server board, this was AMD's "patch" to get into the quad core market.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131146
    ------
    This board can take 2 Core 2 Extreme's, but not quad core's 1333Mhz
    http://shopping.com/xPF-Intel-Mother-Bd-S3000PTHBPP-0-No-Cpu
    ------
    This board can take 2 quad core xeons, but again its a server board
    http://shopping.com/xPF-Supermicro-Supermicro-X7DAL-E-Intel-5000X-LGA-771-DDR2-FBD-SATA-SATA-RAID-ATX
    -------

    Comment: After looking at the dual AMD Dual Socket L MoBo, i gotta say ... one hell of a board if that can take dual quad cores (still one hell of a board if not). Really, with a virtual machine usin just 2 cores, you could have a server runnin on it perfectly while playin some games lol. AMD owns with their processor technology (mainly hypertransport). Even though ive been a pentium man since i was really into comps ive been readin some very nice things about their quad core plans and i think i might test drive an amd quad once theyre out. We'lll see if it can make me change my ways lol. The biggest restriction with the pentiums ive noticed is the very small amount of L1 cache. AMD X2's are backin 128 KB per core ... C2D is only packin 32KB each.
    Last edited by matkisson; March 9th, 2007 at 10:26 AM. Reason: comment
  12. #7
  13. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    /Users/edman007
    Posts
    4,617
    Rep Power
    906
    well anyways it is a server board, or close to it, the OP said a 5160, and they only exist for socket 771, which AFAIK only exists in multi-socket boards, the Core 2 Xeons are the 30xx/51xx /53xx series, C2Ds don't work in multi socket boards anyways, but the Xeon 30xx and 51xx are C2D based and are for the most part equivalent (with the 53xx being the equivalent to the C2Q)

    that dual C2D board you pointed to is not actually a dual socket board, its a half width 1U board, meaning you can fit two motherboards in a 1U case (the smallest rackmountable case), so its like a dual socket system, but it still is two separate boards for two computers

    BTW, if you want a big monster board, look at what TYAN makes, they have one AMD board that will take 8 quad core Opterons when they come out
  14. #8
  15. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by edman007
    well anyways it is a server board, or close to it, the OP said a 5160, and they only exist for socket 771, which AFAIK only exists in multi-socket boards, the Core 2 Xeons are the 30xx/51xx /53xx series, C2Ds don't work in multi socket boards anyways, but the Xeon 30xx and 51xx are C2D based and are for the most part equivalent (with the 53xx being the equivalent to the C2Q)

    that dual C2D board you pointed to is not actually a dual socket board, its a half width 1U board, meaning you can fit two motherboards in a 1U case (the smallest rackmountable case), so its like a dual socket system, but it still is two separate boards for two computers

    BTW, if you want a big monster board, look at what TYAN makes, they have one AMD board that will take 8 quad core Opterons when they come out
    my bad lol, just did a quick search for dual processor boards, wasnt paying too much attention to technical stuff. And i definately agree that the AMD board is a server board, but according to them its not so w/e, open to opinion i guess. But where did you see this board that'll take 8 quads?????? I scanned their website and can only find a board that would take 4 socket F's, but still enough to kill ... i mean 16 cores @2.4-3Ghz each? damn ... yup, were gonna either do away with server farms, or were gonna make some VERY powerful ones shortly....
  16. #9
  17. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    /Users/edman007
    Posts
    4,617
    Rep Power
    906
    Originally Posted by matkisson
    I scanned their website and can only find a board that would take 4 socket F's, but still enough to kill ... i mean 16 cores @2.4-3Ghz each? damn ... yup, were gonna either do away with server farms, or were gonna make some VERY powerful ones shortly....
    you didn't read the fine print, all their AMD boards that have 4 CPUs also have a hypertransport port, and they sell a card that holds some RAM and 4 more CPUs to plug into to...mobo and part #M4985...though it doesn't seem to be on their site, they mention it many times, you can probably get it if you called them or something

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo