1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

AMD 64-Bit Problems

I recently upgraded my system, moving to a new ASUS motherboard and an AMD 64-bit processor, 512 GB of new RAM, a GeForce 6800 Ultra video card, and reformatted my existing hard drive and am running XP pro. After playing Doom 3 one time at an elevated resolution, I realized that I could use some more RAM, so I got another 512 MB of the same RAM, and installed it. That's where things started going wrong. I'll be running a program and the system will just shut off, and restart with out any warning. Also, sometimes it will have problems starting some programs (Outlook in particular), and will lock-up if the system if left on for an extended period of time (more than a few hours). I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I'm going to try removing the new RAM, and seeing how the system runs but I'm wondering if there's a configuration setting that I might have overlooked during setup of the system. I'm not very familiar with setting up the 64-bit processor to run with regular XP, so any help would be appreciated. I'm also thinking about upgrading the hard drive, since it is a few years old now. Lastly, the system seems to be looking for a RAID setup when it starts up, but I never setup a RAID system and don't know anything about it. If this could be causing problems, and anyone knows how to configure the system to cancel the RAID system, that would help a lot. Thanks in advance.
  3. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Don't know why this thread was closed...
    Anyway, first be sure that windows is not set to automatically reboot when there is an error. (Right click "My Computer"->Properties->Advanced->Startup and Recovery->Uncheck "automatically restart"
    Then you can look in the Event Viewer (control panel->Administrative tools->Event viewer) and see if the error recorded there is helpful.
    Download and run memtest86 to check your ram. Is it exactly the same as the other stick? Which cpu do you have? Does it require registered memory? What mobo?
    This could be a heat problem too, check that your cpu fan is running properly, has good contact with the cpu, and remove any dust.
    Nothing to know about running the amd64 with 32 bit windows, it works fine.
    I'm guessing the raid is just because your board supports SATA raid, so it looks to see if you have any. Shouldn't be causing any problems, but you can look in the bios to be sure the SATA and RAID settings are right.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  5. No Profile Picture

memmory problem

i have new amd 64x 2.8ghz and i had the same problem. my providers were total snobs as they even changed the motherboard from krypton to msi but that didnt solve.whenever i load games like fifa2005 or nfsu2 the system restarts after few mts.i then noticed that there is some problem when u use 512mb single chip.i swapped 3 512mb chips and problem persisted. then i asked them to install 2x256mb transcend ram and the problem seems solved.....atleast for the time being.please post if amd gives out any explanation abt this. i checked the site there is nothing there....
  7. Warning: I can't read

the first i've ever herd of this problem before
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It's not a new problem to me. That stick of RAM you bought is most likely bad. Get it replaced. The random crashing is a result of the bad RAM chip being used. Therefore it only crashes when that portion gets occupied. Had the same problem, replaced it and it's been smooth sailing ever since.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo