1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

AMD Hexcore route vs. the Intel Core i7

I am thinking about getting a new motherboard/CPU/memory - and I want to know if I should go the AMD Hexcore route vs. the Intel Core i7 route.

Which will give me the most speed for the dollar?
  3. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

AMD is probably the better bang for your buck, depending on what you plan to use the computer for. You can get the Phenom II 1090T for $255 at Newegg while an i7-950 is $295 for similar or slightly higher performance. Of course the top of the line i7-980x blows away anything from AMD, but costs $1000.

If you are mostly going to be gaming, the AMD or even a cheaper CPU would be more than enough; spend your budget on the best graphics card(s) you can. If you are going to be doing CPU intensive work, the i7 is probably worth the cost difference.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  5. Contributing User

Thanx for the feedback.

I will probably be splitting my time between Office/ Photoshop/ Gaming.
  7. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Of those, Photoshop is the most impacted by cpu, and pretty much any i7 above the 920 will beat the 1090T on that, all else being equal. The difference isn't big though until you get to the more expensive i7's. The i7 also outperforms a bit on games, but of course the video card is a much bigger factor there.

Personally, I'm usually on a budget with personal use PC's, and AMD is great for that. If you have a few bucks and no significant other watching the credit card statement, the i7 will be a bit faster, and that's what its all about, right?
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  9. No Profile Picture

i7 definately has better benchmark results. If you have a tight budget then go with the AMD, and get a better gfx card. Otherwise spring for the i7. They still beat the hexcores.
  11. No Profile Picture

Right now the Intel i7 processors in my opinion are the best processors currently available but the their fastest chip, Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition, is extremely expensive but AMD recently released the new AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition is a bit slower its a lot cheaper so it will give you better value.
  13. No Profile Picture

I used to be a hardcore amd fan but was forced to switch to intels as they demolish amd cpus performance wise nowadays.

Still waiting for amd to catch up and take the lead again.

For now go for the i7 or even the high end i5's as they'll have the better performance than amd. check tomshardware cpu performance charts to see how different they are performance wise.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo