1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unhappy Athlon XP 2500+ Barton Problems

Okay I have a problem with my computer. It seems my athlon xp 2500+ Barton is running at only 1.1ghz and I can't get it to go any higher. It did this out of the blue just starting it and I hadn't done anything. I am running windows 2000, 2 20GB hitachi HD's, 512MB PC2700, Aopen 52X CD/DVD and an MSI KT4AV-L Mobo. I have tried overclocking it again everyway I can think of, and messed with all of the BIOS settings and most times it won't even restart when I do so I have to clear the CMOS and start over. Does any one have any suggestions? I heard that getting a new BIOS update could help but I don't have a floppy drive so I was hoping it was something else since it was working fine before. Any and ALL comments are welcome.

Thanks!
  3. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

The FSB speed has changed to 100, rather than 166 like it should be. This is likely due to a jumper on the motherboard or a bios setting.
    Check the cpu voltage as well, if youre having power problems maybe the speed stepped down?
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Maybe it's your mobo battery. If it dies, your CMOS will keep resetting and maybe 100 fsb is its default.
  7. No Profile Picture

Y* the FSB w*s *t 100 so I ch*nged the setting to 1.7V *nd 166mhz *t 11.5X *nd It st*rted right no ***blems. I don't know why it did it in the first pl*ce. I shouldnt h*ve been * de*d b*ttery bec*use the Mobo is br*nd new. But it's working now *nd I w*s *ctu*lly *ble to OC it *nother 200mhz . It's running *t *bout 56c. Is th*t too hot or *m I still in the s*fe zone?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo