1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Non booting XP cpu

Yesterday I decided to pull the working XP 2500 333 CPU from my computer and put it on another board to check the board. It did not work on the other board so I put it back in my board. (Soyo Dragon). It now does not post. Everything runs and you can hear the hard drive and everything work but no display. I have had this problem several times, and have even put cpu's in a drawer that would not post in several working comuters only to try them at a later date and they work fine. I fail to see how removing a cpu and installing it can cause a problem like that. This is not the 1st time it has happened. Has anyone else had a problem simular to this?
  3. fifo

What makes you think that it's the cpu and not the agp slot/video card/moniter/moniter cable. It's unlikely that removing a cpu and replacing it would cause that. Could it be possible that you have a dodgy connection between the agp slot and the moniter and in removing the case, heatsink etc, you broke the connection.
    Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on. - Billy Connolly
  5. No Profile Picture

funny, the exact same thing happened to me 3 or 4 days ago. turns out it was the video card. i replaced it and i was fine. but it is weird how the same day i change my cpu, my video card goes bad...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo