1. No Profile Picture
    Texan at Heart
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Comparison Chart

After reading 2 or more cores working as 1 and learning a bit more, especially
    Originally Posted by edman007
    well when you see an application say it requires a 2Ghz CPU, generally they mean a 2GHz P4 CPU, but a P4 is one of the slowest CPUs out there for its power per hertz, a ~1.6-1.8 GHz CPU from AMD will have approximately equal power per core, and when you see a new computer today with a speed of 1.8-2.4Ghz look at the CPU, its probably a Core 2 Duo, which can easily be 20-40+% faster per hertz then a P4, my Core Duo is 2.16 GHz and i can run a single threaded app at approximately the same speed as my 3.3GHz P4, with a multi-threaded application its twice as fast, and the Core 2 Duo is about 20% faster then that per hertz, so that 1.8Ghz computer you are looking at should be considered to be something like having two 2.4-2.6GHz P4 CPUs for the purpose of comparing to the label on the box of some piece of software, so in your case that 1.8GHz CPU is very much fast enough for your application that needs a 2GHz CPU
    I was talking a bit more to my partner about it and almost there. I was asked if there was a good comparison chart to review to fully compare the CPU speeds to know which one might be the best?
  3. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

tomshardware.com has a good one, thats what i usually use

Comments on this post

• Axweildr agrees : Nice tool, and fine bit of writing above
    • Corey Bryant agrees : Thanks for all the great information!
  5. No Profile Picture
    Texan at Heart
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks for that! I'll pass it along and come back if any more specific questions come up.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo