1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Confused about processor speed.

I am going to buy a new computer and at the moment I have my eyes on two.

One of them has the following processor: AMD DUAL CORE X2 3600 , I googled it and apparently the processor speed is 1.9GHz
    The other one has a INTEL CORE 2 DUAL e6320 and google says it is 1.86HGz.

My problem is that I don't think their clock speed could be so low specially the INTEL. My theory is that in fact if I buy INTEL CORE2DUAL E6320 I will get 2 processors with the speed of 1.86 - hence the name DUAL - which means that I will have about 3700GHz speed, am I right?
    Last edited by amahmood; June 25th, 2007 at 02:01 PM.
  3. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

No, you don't add the speeds together with a dual core processor.
    A dual core processor consists of two processors on a single die, but both run at the same clock speed. The advantage is that when you are multi tasking, each core can run some of the applications independently and increase overall performance. The clock speeds don't combine though.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Go with the intel. Yes it has a rather low clock speed but It's very efficient with the cpu cycles. I have an e6300 and I OC'd it to ~3.0GHz. They're excelent overclockers if your into that kind of stuff. even without the oc its faster. since I can't post URLs, check out Tom's Hardware. they have a great CPU comparison chart, and the e6320 beats the AMD X2 3600 in most if not all, even with the lower clock speed.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo