1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Is Core 2 Dou run in 64bit OS?

If I need to run Windows XP 64bit or Vista 64bit, what CPU should I be looking for? I was looking at the Core 2 Dou but I'm not sure if it supports 64bit OS.
  3. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

Originally Posted by ljCharlie
    If I need to run Windows XP 64bit or Vista 64bit, what CPU should I be looking for? I was looking at the Core 2 Dou but I'm not sure if it supports 64bit OS.
    anything with a Core 2 Duo supports a 64-bit OS
  5. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by edman007
    anything with a Core 2 Duo supports a 64-bit OS
    Sorry to intervene in this OP's post, but just curious... is there anything significant to keep in mind before upgrading to a 64-bit OS? I have a core 2 duo mb with close to top of the line hardware (when I purchased it feb 1, 2007). Would I need to somehow verify hardware compatibility or even software compatibility before upgrading?
  7. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

With windows you can run into driver problems, running a 64-bit OS means the driver for everything MUST be 64-bit, thats not a problem for the big name hardware such as your motherboard and video card. However it still can be a problem with the stuff you bought at walmart and older unsupported hardware.

Other then that there is not much that will cause you problems. Everything pretty much is updated though it may be slightly more buggy than its 32-bit counterpart.

With other Linux though its a bit worse, Flash and Java still have problems there, as well as the video codecs.

Comments on this post

• hiker agrees : (0 - sorry) Thanks.
  9. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Oh the drivers are a nightmare. Check out everything you're going to plug in.

I installed a mouse driver. Had to do a OS Repair thereafter because I couldn't even boot up in safe mode since my keyboard and mouse failed to work outright.

I have a $800 audio interface from M-Audio. Useless. Had to get a presonus FP10 to replace it.

Ditto my M-Audio keystation keyboard no drivers ... but I can go MIDI into the presonus now at least.

About 1/2 my audio plug-ins are useless.

Going (vista) 64 rendered me about $2,000 in now useless junk.

Good luck

</vent>
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  11. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by medialint
    Oh the drivers are a nightmare. Check out everything you're going to plug in.

I installed a mouse driver. Had to do a OS Repair thereafter because I couldn't even boot up in safe mode since my keyboard and mouse failed to work outright.

I have a $800 audio interface from M-Audio. Useless. Had to get a presonus FP10 to replace it.

Ditto my M-Audio keystation keyboard no drivers ... but I can go MIDI into the presonus now at least.

About 1/2 my audio plug-ins are useless.

Going (vista) 64 rendered me about $2,000 in now useless junk.

Good luck

</vent>
    Isn't vista 32 bit bad on drivers as it is?

I've been considering upgrading to 64bit XP, as I still refuse to use Vista. But yeah, I'm going to make sure I can find drivers for everything prior to any sort of reinstallation using 64-bit.

Thanks.
  13. Warning: I can't read

driver support for Vista x64 is leaps and bounds better then XP x64 is. If your computer is under a year old, then you should be safe as long as you don't have any odd parts. For the most part people won't see a big difference between the two. Not sure if programming is any different or better to do for 64 bit
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

All new CPU's can use 64bit

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo