Thread: CPU and beeping

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

CPU and beeping

Hello,

I've noticed that when my cpu utilization gets up to around 50%, that my computer starts beeping (much like the beeping that occurs when a truck is in reverse), and a fan sounds like it's kicking into overdrive. At some point, even though the cpu is still operating at the high utilization, the fan becomes much softer and the beeping stops. The beeping and fan also stop if I stop whatever app is using so much cpu.

Any ideas on how to stop this - obviously, it doesn't sound good.

Thank You
  3. Not much of a contributor
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

May i know the complete specs of your CPU? It could be overheating is it well ventilated?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It's a P4, probably about 4-5 years old. I've opened the case and it appears to be well ventilated. I installed SpeedFan and it's saying that my highest temp is 68C (which is apparently my cpu)! Any ideas?
  7. Contributing User

When I first set my pc up and switched it on, I noticed my CPU temperature coming up to 70C and the first thing I did was turn it back off and check the fans. I cannot be 100% sure whether it's a high enough temperature to be dangerous to your hardware but I would not want to turn a computer on knowing it gets that hot.

Try cleaning up the fans, and check if over the years the CPU fan has gotten lose or whether it has moved. If it has moved, stick some new thermal paste on it and reposition it to keep the conductivity high. After that's done turn the computer back on and monitor the temperature.

I would not be surprised if those beeps are a warning sign of it overheating. If it is and it gets any worse, the computer might well start to shut itself down in order to try and save your hardware but at that point, it might be too late.
    Last edited by LDHosting; August 27th, 2009 at 12:27 PM.
    Quality European Web Hosting - LDHosting.com
    High Quality, Low Cost Web Hosting Services
    www.ldhosting.com
  9. No Profile Picture

There may be any problem with RAM because it may be the reason of beeping,but it just happen only for few types of motherboard.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

hey my CPU has also this problem i changed the RAM but it doesn't effect on it. so pls give another suggestion.
  13. Contributing User
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

working correctly?

Sounds like it works correctly. Did you plot temperature versus time? The scenario sounds to me like

cpu: "I'm overheated." (beeps)
    fan: "I'll huff, and I'll puff, and I'll blow..."
    cpu: "Ahhhhh."
    fan: "panting suffices"
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

some pentium 4 had max allowed temperature equals 70c, and they also required ALLOT of cooling
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You seem to know the symptoms and more importantly, what causes it. I would say it could be due to a faulty fan, but as you said, the fan does go into overdrive to try to cool it and it seems well ventilated, so I don't think it's that.

You are using a Pentium 4 in this day and age? I don't know what programs you are running, but I will bet a P4 cannot handle it for extended periods of time.

Comments on this post

• requinix disagrees : "this day and age" was three years ago

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo