Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Which CPU to buy?

I'm planning on buying a new P4 CPU soon. Im stuck between deciding to either get a northwood core or a prescott core. which one should i get? does it matter what type of motherboard ill be using for it?
    John5788
  3. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

It depends on what speed you're looking at. I wouldn't buy any prescott that had a northwood of equal speed available (3.4ghz and lower). Basically, I'd get NW for socket 478. If you wait a bit longer, when lga775 comes out, and the new chipsets, ddr2, pci express, etc are available, then the prescott will be the thing.

There will be some wait before all the new features are widely available and implemented to show their strengths, so if you want that computer soon, you'll go with socket 478 and NW. Be aware that the new chipsets don't support AGP, and will stop supporting DDR ram, so if you planned to move components from an old computer, you won't want the new stuff. On the other hand, if you're buying everything new, you may want to wait, so that you'll be able to carry over the components into the next computer.

Well, that's a lot of thinking. If it were me, I would buy the best of the Northwoods that I could afford, and make the best computer I could, so that it would last a couple years, at which time you can see the mature implementation of all the new tech.
    Hope this wasn't too confusing
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  5. Warning: I can't read

well i would get the northwood. I don't know what you guys recommend around here, but at DevH, we find the Prescott to reach far greater temps compared to Northwoords, and if you plan on Overclocking, you will need a good cooling system. Like karsh said, prescotts will be behind the nothy in benchmarks until it reaches higher clock speeds. We find that about 4 Ghz, it takes over the lead. you COULD wait for 775, but there was a major problem, which created the recall, there will still be problems when it comes out again. I also don't know if you plan on Overclocking or not, but there will be a "lock" on the new CPU's.
  7. Just another guy

I believe asus and gigabyte have already figured out how to disable the oc lock, and more will follow suit.

Good to see you over here jkabaseball, your knowledge will be a big help
    --Dave--

9. Warning: I can't read

well yes they have broken the "lock" but they only managed to mearly "crack" it. I believe, from the last time i heard they were only able to get so far. anandtech.com, did a review on them with an ES P4, and at like 225 or something they couldn't get it to go any higher even with lower dividers. They were about to reach higher speeds when they bumped up the multiplier compared to OverClocking.
  11. Contributing User

when do you think the current motherboards supporting 478 socket processors will be completely obsolete?
  13. Warning: I can't read

well you can always find something for those old PC's, i have a old celey as my server/linux box. As far as using it as your everyday machine, i don't really know. It depends on what your doing, if gaming, i'd say maybe 1.5 years, if your just web surfing then a long time, i don't know the requirements of the different programing programs and such, so i really can't say. But Intel seems to be pushing everything back, so it will be a while before anything new that good comes out. Then you have to consider the gains you would get from PCI and DDR2. The look like they will offer faster speeds. But like i said before, its up to intel releases, or lack there of. I have my P4 running at around 3.6 and i plan on keeping it for a while. I havn't heard if they will offer 478 with PCI-express and DDR2.
  15. Warning: I can't read

well after reading a new article on the OCing of the new chipsets, they seem to have craked it pritty well, they managed like 280, which is a very impressive OC for any chip. Seems like intel has a link between SATA, PCI-Express, and the chip, if theres more than a 10% OC then the computer will recoginze it and won't boot. Abit and ASUS are the two motherboard companies which seem to be making way with this.
  17. Contributing User

ok, since im not a rich bastard ive decided to do this:

buy a 3.0ghz (or maybe even faster) LGA pentium4, and get a mobo that supports the LGA pentium4 along with still supporting 8xAGP, and DDR ram. that way i can still drain life from my geforce fx 5900xt that i just recently bought along with my 1024mb of DDR ram
    John5788
  19. Just another guy

Your choice. If you're getting a 3.0, 3.2, or 3.4ghz chip though, i would stick with the Northwood (socket 478). Its faster than the lga775 (until the 1066mhz fsb comes out at least) at the same clock speeds. Also, the new socket is more fragile.
    Its your money though, do whatever you want
    --Dave--

21. Contributing User

but its not like the LGA775 processors give very horrible performance right? their still decent?
    John5788
  23. Just another guy

Oh, it will still be faster than your old P3 or something, certainly. They just are slower than Northwood at the same clock speed. If you're thinking you'll get another cpu as an upgrade in a year or something, LG775 might make sense.
    I think you're getting the worst of both worlds though if you get a 3.0 lg775 with an 865 chipset. Then you have the slower (than NW) cpu, and the slower, soon to be replaced agp slot and DDR rather than pci-express and DDR2.
    I would either get a socket 478 cpu and use your old cards and such, or be an early adapter and get lg775 with the 915/925 chipset and upgrade everything.
    Since you have a budget, I would go the socket 478 route one more time. The next computer will be the one for lg775
    --Dave--

25. Contributing User

actually, after gathering more information and getting some other peoples opinions, i think im going to just hold off on buying anything. ill just save up and wait until all the major companies improve themselves in this new technology. ill get myself some nice 1024mb ddr2, 100+gb SATA drive (depends on whats the standard later on), and a decent pci-express video card.
  27. Just another guy

Good choice. Way to resist the siren-song of new pc hardware
    --Dave--

29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

karsh, how long have you had your system? and when and to what do you plan on upgrading?
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo