1. Crypto-Con
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

CPU fan briefly pauses

I just installed a new CPU (Pentium D, 3.0Gz) and mobo (Gigabyte i-DNA series), and I noted during the first hour(ish) of usage that the fan would occationally, well, stop.

It'll be going about about 2k rpm (according to the BIOS, that's about its average speed) and then just come to a stop out of the middle of nowhere, wait a couple seconds, then start right back up again. The funny thing is that it comes to a faily abrupt stop, like it's being forced to stop; I noted that when I turn the computer off it takes noteably longer for the fan to coast to a stop than when it stops during regular usage.

I assume this isn't normal behavior for a fan? (I've checked all surrounding wires to ensure that they aren't possibly getting in the way of the blades.) Assuming so, I assume that the fan itself is to blame? (It came boxed with the CPU.)
    Last edited by B-Con; April 14th, 2006 at 06:26 PM. Reason: suscribed to thread
    - "Cryptographically secure linear feedback shift register based stream ciphers" -- a phrase that'll get any party started.
    - Why know the ordinary when you can understand the extraordinary?
    - Sponsor my caffeine addiction! (36.70 USD received so far -- Latest donor: Mark Foxvog.
    )
  3. Providing fuel for space ships

How long does the fan stop for ? If I were you B-Con, I would change the fan asap. It won't do the CPU any good for the fan to stop, even for a brief couple of seconds and right now, it will be more cost effective to replace the fan than replace the fan + cpu in a month or so.
  5. Crypto-Con

Depends. It always stops during boot-up, for about 5-10 seconds, then resumes. I don't think I've noted it stopping after an OS has been loaded, it's only during the power-up/down sequence. (I just got my OS working, so I just now noted that.)

This makes me wonder if it is the fan's fault after all... always the same time, as far as I can tell...
    - "Cryptographically secure linear feedback shift register based stream ciphers" -- a phrase that'll get any party started.
    - Why know the ordinary when you can understand the extraordinary?
    - Sponsor my caffeine addiction! (36.70 USD received so far -- Latest donor: Mark Foxvog.
    )
  7. Providing fuel for space ships

What's the model of you mobo so I can get a look at it ? Maybe it's designed to stop the fan when not needed ?
  9. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

my fan used to do that, i have a 6000 rpm fan, and it appears that the minimum voltage for it to turn over is right at the motherboard "low" setting for a CPU fan, so when i enable q-fan control (sometimes called cool&quite) the motherboard will boot up into 100% fan, then drop the voltage down a bit in steps, and at the lowest setting the CPU fan just stops. after about a year of doing this i think something happened to the fan where it can now turn over at this setting

if this is the case for you i wouldn't worry about it, as long as the fan comes on when its hot then you should be fine, for my computer this lead to higher idle temps but the bios kicked in the power when it got hot so the max temp reached never changed, the exact temps are configurable in the bios

to confirm this is the problem i would make sure you disable Q-Fan/Cool & Quite in the bios

Comments on this post

• t3j45 agrees
  11. www.devhardware.com/forums
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I concur with edman. Read http://forums.devshed.com/showthread.php?t=242251. Try the q-fan control in the bios. Rather set the bios to defaults and see.

And if it doesn't help, fans aren't too expensive either. At least not as much as spending on new cpu..
    For your more complex hardware related problems, visit DevShed's sister forums: DevHardware
    If you don't already know about it, please checkout our guide to Folding@Home . Join DevHardware team and help cure diseases. Your support is valuable and much appreciated. *

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo